General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire

Ok so my car started backfiring and sputtering like crazy under full load. I mean really stomping into it, it gots pop, pop, pop and it is a noticible power loss and a flashing SES once, but no codes, all I had that was noticible was an exhaust leak; got that welded all up so no leak. Also, my 02's were loose as hell; got those tightened up. Plus, when I got my headers put on they cut and spliced instead of using extensions; yah I know that is screwed up. So tomorrow I will be getting my plugs changed, my wires look good so they shouldn't be the problem. Im hoping it is the spark plugs and then I will be buying 02 extensions and new 02 sensors. Do you guys have any ideas if it could be somethin else? My car is running a little better after fixing the exhaust leaks. I just need some input.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wires, plugs, coil packs, o2 sensor, intake/exhaust leak.....those are going to be your major areas....
Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Yea man what he said above..also i'm sure you probably already know this...but a flashing SES light indicates a catalyst damaging misfire..If it does ever start blinking again i would not drive the car very far at all...it honestly doesent take long to destroy a cat with a severe misfire...
Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Default Cats

I don't understand how I could possibly mess up these CATS they are practically hollow all the way through, it's like a pipe through the inside of a CAT's shell!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wpnsman2000
I don't understand how I could possibly mess up these CATS they are practically hollow all the way through, it's like a pipe through the inside of a CAT's shell!
haha okay...i just figured i'd mention it..wasnt sure if you were aware of it..The problem is with a severe misfire you have raw fuel getting to the cat..this will cause the CAT to overheat very quickly....i've seen one at school glow bright orange it got so hot...it was crazy. When you have the plugs changed ask them if they can save them..and keep them in order for which cylinder they came out of..take a look at them, this will allow you to see if any look like that cylinder was going way lean, or way rich..which could cause a misfire as well. Also if you have a multi-meter measure the resistance of each wire..just to make sure you dont have an open in any of them...or a crazy amount of resistance.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 AM
Staging Lane

Default No worries

Hey no worries dude, I'm pretty new to all this stuff that can be wrong w/ my ride. Hopefully the changed plugs and new O2's will fix this bastard!