General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wires Touched now no power

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wires Touched now no power

Was wiring up some autometer guages this morning and a wire touched another and we had a small spark. Probably not the smartest idea I didnt disconnect the battery. The car was running to see if everything was working right. We shut the car off then tried to fire it back up about 5 minutes later and nothing. When you turn the key over to get power for accesories in the car everything works from the radio to the power seats to the windows, the only scary thing is that when you have it turned over for just power for accesories the odometer does not come on along with the dummy lights in the dash. The car will not even attempt to turn over when you try to start it. Where is the starter fuseable link on these cars? I had someone originally hook 1 of the guages up awhile ago and a wire was ran into the fuse box by the headlight switch to the IGN spot for some unknown reason and I did not know til today after it sparked and we started looking for the problem. No fuses are blown we switched some relays around they are all good. Headlights work, fan blower works, cig lighter works, all the dome lights work, seat controls, stereo works, accesories on the steering wheel works. We tried basic things like unplugging stuff so I dont know. What pisses me off is the guy who installed it first didnt fuse it or anything its just wired into the fuse box.

Last edited by AutomagicLS1; 06-10-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could have fried the alternator....putting it into a open circuit, unplug the alternator wire and screw it back on....with the battery undone....then hook it up and try it