General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rattles coming from front suspension

Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rattles coming from front suspension

I put in some lowering springs, and also replaced the struts in the front. The only thing not replaced were the upper strut mounts, which were pretty old. Now whenever I drive around and hit a slight bump in the road i hear pretty loud rattles coming from what seems to be the front suspension.

Do you think that new upper strut mounts will fix this problem? or was the install done wrong?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

anyone have this problem when they lowered their car or know what it could be? the rattle is pretty loud.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
SCRWS6

if its rattling, you might want to take the wheel off and check everything you did, grab and shake stuff, see if you can get stuff to move (with the proper precautions of course) did everything get torqued down correctly?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

i'll check that soon. for the summer i'm working as a tech at a dealership so i'll rack it tomorrow and check everything out. but it definitely sounds like that whole strut/spring assembly moves around.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem, it ended up being the nut on top of the shock wasn't tight enough. I had to compress the spring and tighten it to get the rattle to stop.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Mine did that and the dealership i took it to said nothing was wrong but my brake pads where almost gone. So i get some new break pads and get ready to put them on and the dumb fu*ks at the dealership didnt notice the top bolt holdin my brake caliper on was gone so when i would hit a bump it would rattle pretty loud. I was pissed.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Also turns out my damn brake pads where still almost new. Dont know how they didnt see the bolt missing. Dont think they even looked, i had to take them around the bloke and point out the noise to them. Never took my car back to them.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

thats pretty crazy, i did my brakes around 5k miles ago, but ill try taking to the front strut assembly out and tightening the top bolt down, as well as the bolts for the brakes, just in case. It honestly makes the sound like someone is knocking on your front door..a very distinct sound.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Low N Slow
I had the same problem, it ended up being the nut on top of the shock wasn't tight enough. I had to compress the spring and tighten it to get the rattle to stop.

I had the same problem as well.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

I went through the same problem and results as Low N Slow and warp 10.. Just tightened the bolt and the rattle was gone. No problems ever since..
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. Is there anyway to tighten this nut down without removing the shock assembly? I am having the same knocking/bumping sound come from the front driverside of my 02 Trans am. I hate the idea of working a few hours and NOT resoving a issue. I have shook poked proded everything I can think of and can't find anything loose or wore. My car has about 48,000 miles. What are the odds of this being the problem?

Vinny

Last edited by Vinny1; 01-14-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Low N Slow
Originally Posted by warp10

I had the same problem as well.
Originally Posted by THE PUNSSHR
I went through the same problem and results as Low N Slow and warp 10.. Just tightened the bolt and the rattle was gone. No problems ever since..
Did any of you guys have this happen with the stock shocks, or was it after putting in new shocks? I have a noise like this too but the original shocks are still on the car.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula413
Did any of you guys have this happen with the stock shocks, or was it after putting in new shocks? I have a noise like this too but the original shocks are still on the car.
Same question here, my T/A has 85,000 miles and stock shocks and springs but makes the knocking sound.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

shameless bump
Old 06-01-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still have this problem... I put on KYB AGX's over christmas break and had the rattling, I took off the shock assembly, compressed the spring, and tighted the top strut bolt as tight as I possibly could by hand. Still have the knocking though. I have come to realize that its either the shock or the top assembly boot. Sam Strano recommended that it was the shock after hearing my story a few months ago... I still havent done anything about it but plan to in the next few weeks.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just replaced my shocks and i still have the same knocking noise on my drivers side

it didnt change at all between the stock shocks, and the new ones, so im kind of under the impression that the shocks/mount arent the reason and it is something else

i made a thread, and some people told me to look at the upper/lower a arm bushings
Old 06-02-2009, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Well I just got mine back together and the bump is gone............for now. It didn't apear to be loose but after I took it apart and inspected everything I put the nut back on with a little anti seize and a impact wrench it won't have to worry with getting loose again!

Vinny
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Are there ay torque specs on the top nut? How much do we tighten it down?
Just did a bilstein swap on my buddies Z and it is knocking too.
we tightened them down really good, and torqued down all other nuts and bolts as noted, but there were no torque specs for the top nut? Any ideas?
I'm thinkin though it may by the upper balljoint, the noise is coming from that area, just not sure though. What did you guys torque them down to?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Bump. I'm having the same issue..

Can someone help with the torque on the top nut of shock assembly? It's very hard to determine the correct torque since the spring may be applying pressure.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

On a 96 T/A, it's 32 Ft. Lbs. Tighten the nut with a spring compressor installed.

Search this Thread