General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Flush: Is my procedure correct???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Flush: Is my procedure correct???

Aight guys, I just checked the fluids and its time for a coolant flush. The coolant has sediment in it and isn't clear so....

-open radiator drain plug
-remove bottom hose
-drain
-open upper radiator fill cap and place garden hose inside
-run water through running engine untill clear
-replace bottom hose with new hose
-remove upper hose, replace T-stat with 160*
-replace/reconnect upper hose
-fill with 50/50 dexcool
-run engine untill operating temp, check for leaks

The only question i have is i know you're not supposed to leave air trapped inside. How do you prevent this?

If i missed anything, let me know. Thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chad3113
Aight guys, I just checked the fluids and its time for a coolant flush. The coolant has sediment in it and isn't clear so....

-remove bottom hose
-drain
-fill with 50/50 dexcool

The only question i have is i know you're not supposed to leave air trapped inside. How do you prevent this?

when u refill it leave the rad cap off, when the engine reachs temp, the tstat will open and suck up the coolant. then add more till full and put the cap on.
also water wetter/purple ice works really good
Old 07-04-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chad3113

-remove bottom hose
-drain
-fill with 50/50 dexcool

Why do you take the bottom hose off and why do you replace it. I've never taken mine off to flush and its the original from the factory 9 years ago.

If you really want to get every bit of the old coolant out, you must open the drain plug (petcock) and close it 5-6 times, while you keep refilling the radiator and waiting for the t-stat to open to suck the new fresh water from the radiator into the engine. While that coolant that just went into the engine is getting hot you drain the old/hot coolant out of the radiator that just came in from the engine. Then close the drain plug and fill the radiator back up and wait for the t-stat to open again and do the coolant switcheroo again. It takes 5-6 times for the coolant to be crystal clear in both the engine and radiator. When it is clear. Shut the engine off. Drain the whats in the radiator, and fill it with 3/4 of a jug of Dexcool, the rest with water. You're done. 50/50 Dex/water, potatoe/putotto, its close enough.

If I were you being in Weezyanna, I'd use 1/2 jug of Dexcool and a bottle of Water Wetter, rest just plain water. Take it from me, in South Florida heat, it works well. I can't overheat my big stroker engine NO MATTER what I do.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Default GM factory service manual flushing procedure.

Important.
Various methods and equipment can be used to flush the cooling system. If special equipment is used (such as a back flusher) follow the manufacturer's instruction. However, always remove the thermostat before back flushing the system.

1.Block the drive wheels.
2.Place the transmission in park (P) or neutral (N).
3.Engage the park brake.
4.Remove the thermostat.
5.Fill the cooling system with water only.
6.Run the vehicle until normal operating temperature is reached.
7.Drain the cooling system.
8.Repeat until the drained water is nearly colorless.
9.Remove, clean and install the coolant recovery reservoir.
10.Install the thermostat.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Default GM factory service manual drain and fill procedure.

1.Park the vehicle on a level surface.
2.Remove the radiator pressure cap.
3.Open the radiator drain ****.
4.Open the air bleed screw located on the thermostat housing.
5.Allow the system to drain completely.
6.Inspect the engine coolant for the following conditions:
----Discolored - flush the cooling system.
----Normal in appearance - continue with the next step.
7.Close the radiator drain ****. Tighten to 2 Nˇm (18 lb in).
8.Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOLŽ coolant and deionized water.
9.Start the engine.
10.With the pressure cap still removed, idle the engine until the normal operating temperature is reached.
11.Close the air bleed screw when coolant is visible dripping from the bleed screw.
12.With the engine still idling, add coolant to the radiator until the coolant level reaches the bottom of the fill neck.
13.Install the pressure cap.
14.Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and engine compartment.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quickin
Why do you take the bottom hose off and why do you replace it. I've never taken mine off to flush and its the original from the factory 9 years ago.

If you really want to get every bit of the old coolant out, you must open the drain plug (petcock) and close it 5-6 times, while you keep refilling the radiator and waiting for the t-stat to open to suck the new fresh water from the radiator into the engine. While that coolant that just went into the engine is getting hot you drain the old/hot coolant out of the radiator that just came in from the engine. Then close the drain plug and fill the radiator back up and wait for the t-stat to open again and do the coolant switcheroo again. It takes 5-6 times for the coolant to be crystal clear in both the engine and radiator. When it is clear. Shut the engine off. Drain the whats in the radiator, and fill it with 3/4 of a jug of Dexcool, the rest with water. You're done. 50/50 Dex/water, potatoe/putotto, its close enough.

If I were you being in Weezyanna, I'd use 1/2 jug of Dexcool and a bottle of Water Wetter, rest just plain water. Take it from me, in South Florida heat, it works well. I can't overheat my big stroker engine NO MATTER what I do.

Nice, thanks. The reason I thought to remove the bottom hose is to help the coolant drain faster and not allow the old coolant to re-circulate back into the system. As far as the hoses, i just figured i'd replace them since i was taking them off anyway. Can you pick up this watter wetter at an Autozone or something like that?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

what about using rad flush you can get the water clear by doing that// have you seen what the water looks like when you add the bottle and run it for a couple days the water come out brown and nasty again can we use this stuff in our systems?