General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoam Explosion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the full Seafoam treament according to the sticky without any problems. Smoked pretty good when I restarted it. Just to repeat what was mentioned earlier, for the intake cleaning stage, you start with HALF a bottle (the other half already having gone into your crankcase), and slowly feed 2/3 of this amount through the brake booster line, then dump the remaining 1/3 (again, 1/3 of HALF the can) in all at once. When I did this, I had to pinch the booster line almost closed to keep the engine from dying. As I was feeding it in slow the engine would bog a little, then pick back up. When I poured the last little bit in all at once, it bogged hard but didn't die, so I unpinched the booster line, and it revved high for a second then died. I'm guessing not much got suspended inside the engine since it didn't die right away. After that I sprayed the inside of the intake down with Deep Creep through the throttle body, and after about an hour I fired it back up. It was belching out smoke for a good 15-20 minutes.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Sucks man. You should have used Auto-RX instead to clean the crap out. Anyone who is afraid to use Seafoam but wants to do the cleaning should look into it. It goes into the oil and works slowly. I just finished the first 1500 miles of it and my oil filter was very heavy with crap that it pulled out. I can say that it works from what I have seen, plus I don't have a dead motor.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nickls1
Wow. Sucks man. You should have used Auto-RX instead to clean the crap out. Anyone who is afraid to use Seafoam but wants to do the cleaning should look into it. It goes into the oil and works slowly. I just finished the first 1500 miles of it and my oil filter was very heavy with crap that it pulled out. I can say that it works from what I have seen, plus I don't have a dead motor.
yep, I also use Auto-RX......

I'm in the process of doing the cleaning phase in my '77 Cutlass. I did two complete phases of it with my Firehawk a few years ago.

I also Seafoam'd my GF's LT1 TA quite a few years ago and it was fine. I used the booster line and let quite a bit get sucked in the engine, then I snubbed it out with seafoam and let it sit. It still runs fun to this day.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Everything worked out fine no internal damage. I pulled out the plugs and turned it over for a min or two. Installed new plugs and she started right up with no issues. I guess my prob was I had a dead cycl. The plug actually had solid matter on it. I dont know what it is and I'm taking it to a buddy of mine to see if he can tell what it is.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slick02WS6
Everything worked out fine no internal damage. I pulled out the plugs and turned it over for a min or two. Installed new plugs and she started right up with no issues. I guess my prob was I had a dead cycl. The plug actually had solid matter on it. I dont know what it is and I'm taking it to a buddy of mine to see if he can tell what it is.
It's probably a chunk of **** the seafoam knocked loose from the upper intake.

Quick Reply: Seafoam Explosion