General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

GM 4.3L V6 longetivity.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has an 88 full size pickup with a 6 in it, I think it's the 4.3 but I could be wrong, it has 325,000 on it, and still runs. I'm pretty sure the odometer stopped working about a year ago too, so it might be more.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cumbias
Mine is a 4x4 too, the remote oil lines have been leaking since about 120K, thought about replacing them but my mechanic recomemded to leave them as is because the leak was n't too bad and it would cost some pretty labor, how much were yours to replace.
I replaced them on my own. Both the lines from the block to the remote filter and the lines from the filter to the oil cooler were leaking.

NAPA and some smaller auto parts stores sell the lines from the block to the filter for about $30. They're Dorman brand, and are triple crimped where the fittings meet the hose (the OEM lines are double crimped). Finding the lines from the filter to the cooler was fruitless, so I took the old lines to a hydraulic shop and had them put on AN fittings and use some nice hose. I think that ran about $90.

It's not a fun job at all on a 4x4 because the front diff and front propshaft are in the way of everything. I was replacing my engine mounts at the same time so I had the engine jacked up a few inches and the back of the diff hanging down and it was still difficult to snake everything through. Then you get to put the bolt securing the oil line flange into the block using a wobble socket on about four feet of extensions. Fun.

I'm glad I don't have a small puddle of oil under my truck anymore, but honestly if I hadn't been replacing the engine mounts anyway I'm not sure it would have been worth the hassle.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

I've seen several 250+ K miles. I don't remember ever seeing a 300K unit
Old 07-24-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caswell
I replaced them on my own. Both the lines from the block to the remote filter and the lines from the filter to the oil cooler were leaking.

NAPA and some smaller auto parts stores sell the lines from the block to the filter for about $30. They're Dorman brand, and are triple crimped where the fittings meet the hose (the OEM lines are double crimped). Finding the lines from the filter to the cooler was fruitless, so I took the old lines to a hydraulic shop and had them put on AN fittings and use some nice hose. I think that ran about $90.

It's not a fun job at all on a 4x4 because the front diff and front propshaft are in the way of everything. I was replacing my engine mounts at the same time so I had the engine jacked up a few inches and the back of the diff hanging down and it was still difficult to snake everything through. Then you get to put the bolt securing the oil line flange into the block using a wobble socket on about four feet of extensions. Fun.

I'm glad I don't have a small puddle of oil under my truck anymore, but honestly if I hadn't been replacing the engine mounts anyway I'm not sure it would have been worth the hassle.
I might as well leave it how it it. It doesn't really leak bad, its just really oily and only a few drips overnight. Besides, its almost going 50K with the leak, and no major oil loss I've been worrying about. . .
Old 07-26-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cumbias
have you had any other major problems besides the tranny. . . .
Not a one. It cracked a tank on the radiator and I replaced the radiator. I am counting the stock oe tranny as one unit and the gm SRTA I replaced it with being the second one. Oh alternators 96 had crappy alternators but when the escalades came out in 200 I put a large case 140 amp alt on it and that cured the problems.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive replace the alternator twice, the first was a stock gm and the second is a Duralast gold one. Installed the last one about a year and a half ago. . seems to be working good so far.

Quick Reply: GM 4.3L V6 longetivity.