General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattling sound under valve cover =(

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattling sound under valve cover =(

What does a rattling sound under the valve cover indicate? It happens at startup but goes away during operating temp. I downshifted to 3rd today and the rattling sound got louder out of nowhere then died down. it didn't do it again when i tried. what is going bad in my motor! or could that be the result of bad valve cover gaskets? because my drivers side is leaking. sounds like my lifters are hitting the top of the valve covers or something. its a fast rattle. i suspected piston slap at first because it is intermittent and not happening all the time. i just changed my oil yesterday and now this! the car still drives fine and i even went wot in it and had no problems. maybe a bad spark plug? whats the deal?

Last edited by kaos_; 07-13-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

if you switched oils your piston slap is could just be more audible, but not if you can hear it after the car is warmed up. but if your gasket is leaking you need to pull the cover anyways. when you have it off inspect everything, pull the pushrods and such.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

found out it was only an exhaust leak! went to go get oem header gaskets today so hopefully this will fix it.