General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New LS1 owner - engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vibration could be associated with the harmonic balancer. Rev it from the engine bay and see if the balacer is wobbling. As for the cold start up, that is in the tune. If you don't have any tuners where ever you are, you are going to have to either get a mail order tune or data log and see if you can get someone to tune it.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the replies guys.
There are no tuners in my country that could tune LS1. I'll have to do it myself sometime next year. Problem is, I want to get something that allows real-time tuning, but there's nothing for 1998'. So I'm researching the possibilities to change PCM to 99'+.

As for vibration, I haven't changed engine mounts, but vibration is a lot less now, I think it was due to unevenly worn flywheel.

One more question: I have some small metal pipe under TB just open to the atmosphere. What could it be?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes there is. HP Tuners or EFI Live. I have HP Tuners. If you do not have the knowledge to do it, I'm sure you can get the software and have a few data logs and send them to a tuner. Of course they will charge you a fee to do this, but it's one way to do it. You might be able to find the serial version like I have for around 300 bucks.

I'd say that it's where the coolant used to go through.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not real-time, you have to shut off the engine