General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

i hate my egr.. p1404 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i hate my egr.. p1404 code

i have been getting this code for a few months now.. and its about time for inspection, so i need to fix it..

i did some reading, and i read that the ecm is reading the egr isnt closed fully, when it actually is, and a way to fix it is to unplug the egr and reset the code, then plug the egr back in.. does this even work?

i have seen posts where people went out and replaced the egr and the light didnt go away.

is what i said above correct in any way?

I can try to reset the code a few days before inspection and hope it doesnt come on, but i dont want to replace the egr and have the light stay on..
Old 07-15-2007, 03:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the code needs to be deleted or it will clear after so many cycles...AFTER the car has been fixed...and yes the egr valve will get stuck
Old 07-15-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05
the code needs to be deleted or it will clear after so many cycles...AFTER the car has been fixed...and yes the egr valve will get stuck
the code wolnt go away, i clear it, and it comes back a day later.

i have taken my egr off numerous times and cleaned it, i even got brushes and cleaned out the inside for an hour one day.

its not sticking when its out of the car (if it is warm or cold), but it may be sticking while driving.

i have noticed one thing though, the light will ONLY come on when i am in gear and engine breaking while giving it no throttle... it wolnt come on any other time.. which seems kind of weird
Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just replace it? People take those solenoids off daily when they add headers/etc. I'm sure someone would part with one for cheap!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

I think this is the same code I had a while back. I had to replace the EGR valve. They can be had for cheap if you buy it used.

The code will always come back if all you do is clear it, that does not fix anything. If you fix it, the light will go off on its own after a few engine cycles, or you can clear it yourself again.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The EGR valve is rarely the actual problem. A new valve fixes (masks) the issue because the pintle and seat are clean and new. The issue is software. The code sets after coasting for awhile, either downhill or just by letting off the gas after a high speed run. There is an update to the FACTORY program to fix the 1404 issue. If you are running an aftermarket tune, then sorry, your gonna have to try and patch it with a new valve.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i got an EGR valve and tubing ill sell you cheap. LMK if intrested.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro

i have noticed one thing though, the light will ONLY come on when i am in gear and engine breaking while giving it no throttle... it wolnt come on any other time.. which seems kind of weird
That's when it probably does it's self check. At idle the EGR is supposed to be fully closed. If it shows it's open it will throw a code.

Also, how's your idle. If the EGR really was open at all your idle would be ****.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
The EGR valve is rarely the actual problem. A new valve fixes (masks) the issue because the pintle and seat are clean and new. The issue is software. The code sets after coasting for awhile, either downhill or just by letting off the gas after a high speed run. There is an update to the FACTORY program to fix the 1404 issue. If you are running an aftermarket tune, then sorry, your gonna have to try and patch it with a new valve.
thanks, i did a lot of reading, and that is what i thought the problem was also, as you can see in my first post.

how much do you think it would cost to have this done?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by intense3123
That's when it probably does it's self check. At idle the EGR is supposed to be fully closed. If it shows it's open it will throw a code.

Also, how's your idle. If the EGR really was open at all your idle would be ****.
my idle is at 1k rpm and its a bit rough, almost like it is cammed, but i do have almost 115k on it, and i have taken the egr off many times, hot and cold, and it never got stuck (the little plunger thing)
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
my idle is at 1k rpm and its a bit rough, almost like it is cammed, but i do have almost 115k on it, and i have taken the egr off many times, hot and cold, and it never got stuck (the little plunger thing)

Your M6 right? If so that idle is normal. Your EGR is fully closed then, cuz it would terribly bad, not a little bit rough. It'd be trying to stall.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

he has a 6 cylnder.

Quick Reply: i hate my egr.. p1404 code