General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Those that replaced your window motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those that replaced your window motor

Well I'm trying to install a new power window motor on the driver's side as the one on my 98 t/a finally crapped out. Was going real easy until I got to these damn rivets. Those of you who have done this already, how did you drill these out? I don't seem to be able to penetrate too well and i'm using a bit meant for metals and hard materials. The bit either walks around the head of the rivet, or it just spins without chewing through anything. What size/type of bit did you guys use to drill these suckers out?

Thanks, so close to finishing this thing so the help would be appreciated!
Old 05-24-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Those that replaced your window motor

I drilled holes in the door so I could get a straight shot at the rivets. No special bits. Doa search on LS1.com in the LS1 General Help for Window Motor and you'll find the thread I posted.....there's a write up on that thread.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

In the center of each rivet there is a steel pin in there. Just take a metal punch and tap it out, then you can drill out the rivets. Done this so many times I lost count, including mines. I hope you have help to hold up the window or use a large screwdriver to hold up the window. Once you drill out all of the rivets window may fall with motor.

Dan
Old 05-24-2003, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I ended up going right back outside and eventually figuring it out. I just used a real small bit to make a pilot hole and stop the larger bit from walking so much and that did the trick. BTW, for those that plan on doing this, if you don't have a C clip handy to hold up the window, jam a towel (I used an old wash mitt) in the upper opening of the door panel and that's plenty to keep the window from dropping. Always feels good to finish something even if it's not a go-fast mod because I know I just saved myself a whole bunch of cash to blow on said mods .