General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2 Sensors and Lean Banks SES

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensors and Lean Banks SES

I am having quite a bit of trouble recently. First off, for the last couple months I had P0131 and P0151 codes for low voltage o2 sensors that popped up a few times when I had been driving the car for a long period of time during a hot summer day. Well this past weekend I took a trip to Minneapolis and it kept popping back up soon after I erased the code. Well then on the way back home I also had code P0171 for lean bank 1 so I deleted that. Then P0131, P0151, P0171 and P0174 all popped up. I didn't have time to do anything about it so yesterday on the way to work I only got the P0171 and P0174 codes. This hole time I had the codes my car would idle rough sitting at a light.

So I did some research on here and found that if both of those codes are current then it could be that there is a vacuum leak, MAF problem, or fuel issue. Tonight I cleaned my MAF with CRC and found that the rubber piece from my PCV to the manifold had a hole. I replaced it with a piece of hose I had laying around but it was a really tight fit. I took it for a spin and got some gas and I can't press down the gas pedal lightly and to get it going I have to basically launch from 2K! Then on the way back I got P0131 and P0171 codes again..... ****! On the bright side, my idle seems better. But now I will be peeling off at every intersection AND still have an SES light. The lean banks worry me. BTW I had Bosch 13111's put on this spring with my LTs. Should I replace these? What else can this be???
Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats o2 codes, just replace the o2 and the problem should go away...make sure you didnt burn through an o2 wire with your lt's.....but p0131 is a o2 code and an o2 will make the car run either rich or lean....also check for some more unmeterd air leaks
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I was under the impression that the O2 low voltage SES would add fuel which is what makes me nervous since I have lean bank SES now
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Make sure you use the same size vacuum lines when you replace.

A vacuum/intake leak is a common culprit for lean on both banks. When did you change your intake?

O2s are the other common issue. Just check the wiring/connectors before you replace.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Well the fix of the PCV hose helped a lot, no more issues with a shitty idle or the stiff gas pedal as well. I also had a buddy with HPTuners check it out and it looks like the bank 1 O2 sensor is junk so I will get that replaced next week and report back. It is running a little rich on bank 1 so I don't have any more worries. Also, no more codes in the past couple days. I am guessing that the drivers side O2 sensor has been crappy for a while and this vaccuum leak just set it over the edge. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: O2 Sensors and Lean Banks SES