General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help with my metal screeching/ squeaking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with my metal screeching/ squeaking sound

hey all, i have just recently developed 2 small problems with the car, and i am trying to diagnose it.

on a cold start, when turning the key and cranking it over, there is a metal screeching sound that happens right before the car fires up. the car runs just fine right now btw, but these noises are just bugging the **** out of me!!

so after it fires up, then there is a light squeaking, like a pulley sweak that goes with the idle of the car. any ideas of what's happening? after i warm it up for like 10 mins, and then drive a good distance (3-7 miles), the squeaking will disappear. if the car sits for more than an hour, and i fire it up again, the squeaking comes back, anything less than an hour still no squeaks.

so a recap, metal screeching on cold starts only, and a squeaking pulley?

here is a vid when the noises started happening. i was just shooting a vid of a walkaround at the time so i didnt focus on the noises, but you can hear them!

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=pict0006.flv

it almost sounds like i have a procharger!

anyways... any help is appreciated!

Last edited by RooRnZ28; 09-09-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on startup, maybe the starter is too tight (needs a shim), resulting in a screeching noise.

as for the squeek, when u rev it up slightly, does the squeek change pitch with the engine speed, or stay constant, or even go away?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the squeaking could be your idler pulley. Mine was making quite the noise and replacing it made it go away. When I held the old pulley by the bearing and spun it it felt like there was a square bearing inside lol, it was bad.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sdm1234
on startup, maybe the starter is too tight (needs a shim), resulting in a screeching noise.

as for the squeek, when u rev it up slightly, does the squeek change pitch with the engine speed, or stay constant, or even go away?

yes, the squeeking does change pitch with reving.. when normal driving it for awhile, the squeak will go away. i have already had to change the idler pulley, so that is out.

as for the starter being too tight, i'll look into that. i just put in a tci flexplate and swapped out my tranny so that could be a possibility. isnt the flexplate connected to the starter?

thanks guys for the input!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is also the tensioner pulley, have you checked that one?

If a pulley is hanging up anywhere (tensioner, power steering, water pump, AC) so that it doesn't turn right away or it won't spin at full speed right at first at startup it can cause a screech because the belt slips on it. Once the pulley is turning it can squeak for awhile then go away (depending on how bad it is). I've heard this before.

After your car has been sitting for long enough for it to do it, try having someone (or maybe two people) watch the engine when you start it up to see if anyone can spot a pulley that doesn't spin right away or slower than it should at first.

Just throwing out ideas as they come to my head. Hopefully you get it figured out soon.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 AM
10 Second Club

ttt... well an update now.

i got rid of the squeak by replacing the belts with gatorbacks.... but i still have the screeching at cold startups. i will post up a vid of a cold startup tomorrow... but any ideas from anyone?

Last edited by RooRnZ28; 12-18-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: help with my metal screeching/ squeaking sound