General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

REAR AXLE BEARINGS & SHAFT REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAR AXLE BEARINGS & SHAFT REPLACEMENT

Think I 've got a rear axle bearing or wheel bearing going out . When taking a long hard sweeping right hand curve is when its the loudest which makes me think its the left rear. Course I'm gonna change out both anyway but need correct procedure to begin. Also , is it possible the axle shafts themselves might be damaged ? Vehicle is an 2002 Z/28 Vert. with 59,000 miles .
Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Subscribed, very interested I believe I have the same problem, 55k
Old 09-10-2007, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Your axles might be pitted where they sit on the bearings. If that is the case, you probably need new axles. Check out the stickied FAQ in Gears and Axles forum for procedure.

Basically you need to remove wheels and brakes. Open up the rear cover. Remove the pin in the differential and c clips. Then you can pull the axles out. You can use the axles to pry out the seals but you need a slide hammer to get the bearings out. Use an old bearing cage to drive new bearings in. Use a block of wood to tap in new seals. I have posted about this before so may be you can try a search in there.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Launching!

I replaced my rear passenger side bearing yesterday, but it was too late. The axle is pitted a bit, so I am going to have to replace it.