General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Should I dump the Dex-cool for the green stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Should I dump the Dex-cool for the green stuff

My 01 Hawk has 68K miles,when I flush the coolant system, should I replace it with the green anti-freeze instead of the Dex cool again.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No just use Dex cool, coolant is made for different makes at least thats what it says on the bottle.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard dex cool isn't all that great and the "green stuff" is better... So which is it?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

I have used Dex Cool in my car for the past 4 years and have not had a problem. I have drained it twice. From what I read Dex cool has a useful life of about 5 years so must drain it every 5 years.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

I dumped Dexcool for some Zerex G-05

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10
Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, not at 68k miles or unless the price of dexcool increases 500%.
keep using dexcool. Fill the system, make sure it's full with no air, your radiator cap works and your coolant overflow bottle is filled and you'll never have a problem.
you won't gain anything by going green, problems dexcool has had can be contributed mostly to iron blocks and gasket materials that contained nylon, none of which you have. Millions of cars have been running on dexcool for the last 10 years with no problems, if there truly was a problem with dexcool it would be widespread. The problems are unique and specific.

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...older=brochure

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...ant/index.html
Old 09-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Yep flushed mine out with dexcool about a year ago. No problems yet even after crossing New Mexico, Arizona, and SoCal to San Diego in the middle of July with the AC blowin at 85 the whole way there.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have an low milage or air tight system use dexcool. Other, use green stuff. I opted for green stuff after sludge kept gathering on the coolant level sensor. I use the all color green stuff which is compatible with everything. On the back of the bottle it even says aluminum safe. Just my 2 cents. No sludge and Im not really worried about the aluminum block corrosion since the block will probably last longer than I will.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

dex cool is the worst **** ever made the only reason they use it is because the government gives them tax breaks... it eats your cooling system from the inside out
Old 09-15-2007, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

I thought I read where the newer orange stuff that Chrysler uses in their cars is supposed to be pretty good and way better than Dexcool. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Flush your system and use dex cool. It is often recommended to run what the manual says. As long as you maintain the coolant you will be fine.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

since I live in San Diego I was thinking about running pure water and so I wouldnt have calcium deposits I was thinking of using filtered water, Would I run into any problems with this kind of setup?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
No just use Dex cool, coolant is made for different makes at least thats what it says on the bottle.

I'd stay with the Dex Cool . I wouldn't want to flush and flush and flush just to change to the green stuff.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

This has been covered many times, and it always leads to a heated debate.
Common sense goes a long way here - keep your coolant system flushed and change your coolant often. Many of the problems assoc. with Dexcool were the result of GM over-estimating the actual life of the stuff. A lot of people left it in their cars for way too long and it turned to sludge. Most people who keep Dexcool changed at normal intervals will not have problems, provided they don't get leaks and allow air or contamination into the system.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the risk. The green stuff has been around forever and has been perfected. Just make sure you get the green stuff that is compatible with aluminum engines! Every mechanic that I know recommends changing out the Dexcool based on problems that they have seen. You have to change the green stuff every two years or so, but that really isn't a big deal. Dexcool is O.K. as long as the system remains airtight. If air or contaminants get in, you can have some problems. I say, why take the chance? Run the good 'ol green stuff and sleep well at night.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 09-18-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gun5
dex cool is the worst **** ever made the only reason they use it is because the government gives them tax breaks... it eats your cooling system from the inside out
I replaced mine with the Dex-Cool, great stuff after 154,000 miles. Only reason I changed it out was because I did cam and heads so replaced everything from the block up got replaced with new and fresh stuff. Green stuff always overheated my past rides. Hoo-ray for Dex-Cool!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
Green stuff always overheated my past rides. Hoo-ray for Dex-Cool!!!
That's kind of like saying that my car blew up on a tuesday, so I'm not gonna drive on tuesday anymore - doesn't have much logic.

Your past rides did not overheat because of the green stuff. There just happened to be the green stuff in there when you had fan trouble, water pump trouble, timing trouble, pully trouble, or whatever. The heat transfer coefficient of the green stuff is not something that is drastically different and would cause the car to run hotter. Keep the green stuff changed and you will not have problems.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 09-18-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Dexcool is junk. I have seen it gunk up cooling systems so I use the green stuff.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Arad
Dexcool is junk. I have seen it gunk up cooling systems so I use the green stuff.
It gunks up if you don't change it out often. I believe its to be changed at 5 years or 50K miles. Maintain it and you will have no issues.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

This has been covered many times. Stick with Dex cool and change it reasonably regularly.

The source of 99% of the bad rap is that aluminum systems (like ours) don't show corrosion like red rust in green coolant, and accidentally adding standard green coolant also causes problems. Something happens (usually someone adds contaminated water, green coolant, or gets a leak) that causes corrosion, and then the Dex cool gunks up.

If your system has been compromised then you are generally better moving to a cross-compatible solution, particularly if the system has had green coolant added by accident. But if it is intact, stick with Dex.

Either use dex cool or an aluminum safe replacement. Don't use regular old standard green coolant.

Quick Reply: Should I dump the Dex-cool for the green stuff