General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pop up and grind. Amusing headlight antics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pop up and grind. Amusing headlight antics.

Well, since I bought my car, It's had a weak drivers side headlight gear. It goes up if you "assist" the motor. IE, the force of a finger to pull it up when the car is stopped, or wind resistance at 35+ MPH.

They would go down just find, assuming you weren't moving, too. I would guess the center of the gear is gone.

I read about rotating the gear in March, and finally got around to it. I did it this past Sunday, and now the nasty grinding noise is back, but only after the headlight has closed completely.

This means I will be buying a brass gear very shortly.

However, now when I lock/unlock the car via keyfob or power lock, both headlights open and close. It did not do this before. I did not disconnect anything. In addition, the lights pop up when the foglights are turned on (light on parking light switch)

WTF, mates?

Any free solution to the grinding, or merely a way to revert the headlights to their old only come on when the switch is on the headlight position.

This is getting old quickly.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Look around, this has been addressed before. I'm fairly new here but already I've seen several of these kinds of threads

I'm sure the "copy & paste mod" VIP1 will be here with the exact link to check fairly soon

*edit* dang.... Just joined a month ago and already have 189 posts... I talk too much
Old 09-25-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, just put the brass gear in it, i did but i guess i didnt mix my epoxy right and it came back apart......
Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put this in here because I haven't heard many details about the headlights popping up with the locking/unlocking of the vehicle.

I want to know how to set it back to where it merely flashes the turn signals and foglights.

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
yea, just put the brass gear in it, i did but i guess i didnt mix my epoxy right and it came back apart......
eek. That sounds like not much fun.

Last edited by OMGWTFBODY; 09-25-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Look around, this has been addressed before. I'm fairly new here but already I've seen several of these kinds of threads

I'm sure the "copy & paste mod" VIP1 will be here with the exact link to check fairly soon

*edit* dang.... Just joined a month ago and already have 189 posts... I talk too much
Here ya go:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
Again, been through that thread several times. No answer to my question.

Why do my lights pop up with the locking/unlocking of my car? They DID NOT do this before I rotated the gear. I did nothing other than manually raise/lower the headlight.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Same reason.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
Well, since I bought my car, It's had a weak drivers side headlight gear. It goes up if you "assist" the motor. IE, the force of a finger to pull it up when the car is stopped, or wind resistance at 35+ MPH.

They would go down just find, assuming you weren't moving, too. I would guess the center of the gear is gone.

I read about rotating the gear in March, and finally got around to it. I did it this past Sunday, and now the nasty grinding noise is back, but only after the headlight has closed completely.

This means I will be buying a brass gear very shortly.

However, now when I lock/unlock the car via keyfob or power lock, both headlights open and close. It did not do this before. I did not disconnect anything. In addition, the lights pop up when the foglights are turned on (light on parking light switch)

WTF, mates?

Any free solution to the grinding, or merely a way to revert the headlights to their old only come on when the switch is on the headlight position.

This is getting old quickly.
Sometimes the gear gets stripped just a couple of gear teeth too much for the "rotating 180*" fix to work for a long time. Your gear is just eaten up too badly.

The two lights popping up and down is a direct result of the bad gear. It wigs out the system.

Get new motors or the metal gear and all your problems will stop.

AC DELCO brand new motors are cheap here: www.rockauto.com

Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quickin
Sometimes the gear gets stripped just a couple of gear teeth too much for the "rotating 180*" fix to work for a long time. Your gear is just eaten up too badly.

The two lights popping up and down is a direct result of the bad gear. It wigs out the system.

Get new motors or the metal gear and all your problems will stop.

AC DELCO brand new motors are cheap here: www.rockauto.com

That answers my question. Brass gear is on order.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just spreading the word as I just found out about these. HELP (motormite, Dorman) makes a replacement plastic headlight gear for about 15 bucks. Autozone can order them, but it may take a few days to get them in. Part # 42400.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0

There is also a metal arm that helps hold the cover in place being sold by someone. I'd have to look it up.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Just spreading the word as I just found out about these. HELP (motormite, Dorman) makes a replacement plastic headlight gear for about 15 bucks. Autozone can order them, but it may take a few days to get them in. Part # 42400.

There is also a metal arm that helps hold the cover in place being sold by someone. I'd have to look it up.

That's good info. But I think most LS1 guys will opt for the extra 30 bucks to ensure that it lasts.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
That's good info. But I think most LS1 guys will opt for the extra 30 bucks to ensure that it lasts.
Maybe. If you want to wait on it. I here NAPA may have them as well.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Ive had two of the HELP brand gears, both in the same headlight motor, both stripped out, both had been through the 180 mod and still stripped out, and still didnt last me 2 months, basically my headlight motor has been apart at least 6 times... finally broke down and spent the extra 30 for the brass gear and havent had any problems yet (been about 3 months)... plastic gears suck...brass gears all the way!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you guys ordering the brass gears from?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Launching!

I found mine on ebay...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wzup1000
Ive had two of the HELP brand gears, both in the same headlight motor, both stripped out, both had been through the 180 mod and still stripped out, and still didnt last me 2 months, basically my headlight motor has been apart at least 6 times... finally broke down and spent the extra 30 for the brass gear and havent had any problems yet (been about 3 months)... plastic gears suck...brass gears all the way!!!
Frankly, I'm tired of sinking money into them. I just got a plastic gear installed and I'll report when it goes out.
If the motor is not tight to the plastic case then only the edge of the teeth will make contact and is more likely to strip them. So make sure the motor tabs are tight to the case.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Where are you guys ordering the brass gears from?

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...x.htm#Ordering

Id did take about 10 days to arrive via US Mail.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW

I checked with autozone and they where not able to look it up in their system.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

You should be able to tell them the part number and to order it. #42400

I believe NAPA autoparts also carries it, but under another part number. If you have one of those nearby, you might check with them.

Quick Reply: Pop up and grind. Amusing headlight antics.