General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What can it be???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What can it be???

I have had the chirping from the belt for sometime now. I have changed belts twice, had the alternator rebuilt, new alternator bracket, greased all the pulley's and I'm truely losing my mind!!

I first thought it was the alternator because when I would spin it, it would squeek a very little bit. I took it out and had it rebuilt. When I got it, it still squeaked a little bit. I went and bought a brand new one and put it on started it up and still squeaked. I then took the brand new one off and returned it. I then greased all the pulley's and still squeaked. So then I thought maybe the new belt I had just bought was a bad one so I bought a new one. Squeak was GONE! I was so happy. Drove it without a squeak for about 3 weeks and I started to notice that it was coming back. I then thought maybe the tensioner wasn't holding the belt tight enough so I put a socket wrench on it while it was running and pulled on the tensioner and that didn't stop the squeak. I figured then it was the alternator bracket. Thinking that when I put the new belt on it, the belt was new and didn't have any stretch in it so it would put more tension on the alternator and everything else. Put that on tonight and put the belt back on and the squeak was gone. I went out for a drive and it started squeaking a little bit but not as bad as it had been.

I am sure that after I drive it for a bit it will get louder. I have actually went through 3 brand new belts and everyone has squeaked a little different. Some have been louder than others.

Has anyone else experienced this. I know a lot of people have had the chirping but I have done pretty much everything I know of. Why would it go away totally for awhile with a brand new belt but come back so soon? I am truley ready to find a nice big tree and ending the chirp forever!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put a new bearing in both idler pulleys. they usually squeal when they get dirt in them. the race cars I prep go through one every 500 miles, they start to squeak like crazy after a while. you can also pry the rubber seal off them with a pick and re-grease them, however i've found they tend to throw a little grease, and they're usually loose if they've been squeaking for a while.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Josh Nickelsen
I have had the chirping from the belt for sometime now.

when i had the car it would squeak during warm up, and it was caused by the EGR as far as I could tell. as soon as EGR stopped, the squeak stopped.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

Hey mike. It is deffiently a belt squeak. I can spray water on it and it will stop for a short time but comes back. Also if I buy a new belt it goes away for a few days then come back. I am going to get a new tnesioner and gatorback belt and see if that cures it.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Nickelsen
I am truley ready to find a nice big tree and ending the chirp forever!!!!!!
Don't do that, a belt squeak is no reason to wrap a good car around a tree.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have that on my Mark VIII. It's the tension pulley. It can not be lubricted or greased. Listen to 67RSCamaroVette. The differant belts you put on just changed the tension or pull on the pulley wheel. The same goes for sraying water on it. That will just make the belt ride different for a short time. John.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Apparently I was wrong about the grease and lube part. I was told that on my Mark VIII but I just found this link on another thread : Tensior Pulley Grease job. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ys#post5190076 . I would just replace it but you might want to check it out. John.