General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Electrical Issues

To start with, i have a 98 WS6 T/A Auto.
Okay well today i have noticed some very strange electrical problems, 3 of the 4 started today. Here's whats going on.

1) drivers side foglamp is out (it went out the same time these problems started)
2) After i use my turn signal, it will stay off for a second or two and then "click" back on as my daytime running light...
3) When i have my E-Brake up, and i start the car the daytime running lights do not come on. Once i put the brake down they come on instantly.
4) Now when i go to lock my car, the horn does not beep to indicate that i locked the car. All these started all at the same time, with the exception of the e-brake problem.

Also if it helps, ever since i've owned the car, the daytime running lights turn off as soon as the headlamps turn on. I was already aware that this wasn't normal, but didn't think much of it. I am wondering if this could be linked with the problems i'm having.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Check the fuses and some times they have a little "solar" sensor on the dash that gets dust and will cause the daytime running light problems, and cause the inside dash lights to flicker brightness
Old 10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

the e brake thing is fine, thats how its suppose to work.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

3) Normal
4) Does it not honk at all or only once? If only once, then something isn't closed properly. (Usually the hatch, open and re-close it). Does the horn work if you honk it yourself?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

well its good to know that the e-brake thing is fine. I haven't tried to honk the horn at all...but it doesn't honk at all when i lock it. And i have driven it a few times and opened all the doors and the hatch throughout the day, so if anything was open it should have been closed by now. I'll have to check the horn itself tomorrow (since its 1am, i'm sure the neighbors would be a bit upset if i tried it now lol!)
Old 10-28-2007, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

I checked the horn, and found that the reason it does not honk when i lock the car is because the horn itself no longer is working. I checked the fuse as well as the relay, and the electrical parts of the horn works just fine.
Also, the fog light actually blew out (the glass exploded and everything lol) so i'll have to replace that.
I still do not understand why my daytime running lights do not stay on when the headlamps turn on, or why it takes them a few seconds to "pop" back on after using the turn signals...as for the horn, i am going to go underneath the car tomorrow and adjust the bolt to make sure that it is tight and hopefully that will fix the horn.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed on mine (a 2002 Trans Am) that the daytime running lights dim to a Parking light brightness when the headlights are turned on. Maybe the bulbs need to be replaced as they have two filaments and only the high power filament could be lighting perhaps as a result of a powere surge when the fog light blew. Just guessing but it's worth a shot before you spend a lot on a electrical diagnosis. John.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnydi
I noticed on mine (a 2002 Trans Am) that the daytime running lights dim to a Parking light brightness when the headlights are turned on.
That is normal.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
That is normal.
mine dont light up at all
Old 10-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

If they don't come on at all, how come they come on when you take the emergency brake off???
Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

no they do, just not when the headlights are on.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

I have to go to bed, so if they don't come on at all check the fuse. Chances are when your fog light blew it blew a fuse and they are probably on the same circuit. If they only come on as daytime running lights, check the bulbs.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

OK that sounds like the bulbs then. They are only about 5 bucks. Replace them first before you get in to deep.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

By the way to get to them you have to go thrugh the hole underneath them. It looks like a air intke hole in the bumper right underneath the lamp. It took me a while to figure that out. I thought I would have to take the whole front end apart I believe the bulb socket on the back of the housing turns counter clockwise, but I am not sure. It's a quarter turn and out it comes.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

With the headlights off, the DRLs use the bright filament.
With the headlights on, the DRLs use the dim filament.

Turn on the hazards and see if front turn signals are both blinking normally. If not, inspect the bulbs and sockets. Either the bulb has blown (or not far from it) or the socket has corroded. Both situations are cheap and easy to repair.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

okay i checked them out...when the headlights are on, the turn signals and the hazards both work normally, but they just flash from totally off to the bright filaments. So my guess is that the dim filaments in both of the bulbs is out...I'll be headed to advance auto parts tomorrow.