General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird sound coming from rear passenger wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound coming from rear passenger wheel

Quick coverage of what happened:
Caliper bolt that holds it to the axel sheered off and the caliper scraped on the rim. It didn't go all the way through the wheel to the tire though. I replaced the bolt, and the tire was flat when I got back home from a trip out to the west coast. Figuring that is just the bead needing to be replaced.

Anyways on to what is going on:
I drove it around today and it makes a weird squeeking sound from that side. Almost as if something is moving around back there, or maybe the rim isn't fully secure? I tightened the bolts as much as I could and it seems pretty secure.

Not sure what the hell is going on...
Old 10-07-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you inspect the caliber and rotor for damage? Also, it may have eaten enough of the rim away for it to start leaking air, hence the flat tire.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by seawolf18
did you inspect the caliber and rotor for damage? Also, it may have eaten enough of the rim away for it to start leaking air, hence the flat tire.
I checked the rotor pretty extensively and didn't see any wear on it at all. The caliper is only roughed up a little bit but nothing looked damaged.

I didn't think of the rim being damaged too much that it was leaking.

Good thing I have my iForges sitting in my room
Old 10-07-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just double check everything. hard to tell not looking at it or at least a pic. Glad it didn't screw up your rim too bad.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

I'm going to try to take pics tomorrow, but I already put the wheel back on after I put the new bolt in. I didn't really investigate the back side of the rotor but honestly it looks fine. They are brand new rotors so I would be able to see it pretty easily I would think if something was wrong with it. I might just be paranoid about it...not really sure. Just after my last week with the car I'm so paranoid