General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stiff brake pedal and ZERO stopping power help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff brake pedal and ZERO stopping power help!

So recently I had an issue with my EGR valve throwing a code. Yesterday I went to a friends house and swapped the solenoid for the EGR with one that he had, great. I then drove 20 miles home with no issues. Now this morning I get up to goto work and I start backing out of the garage and as I try to stop my brake pedal is like a rock and I literally almost have to stand on it in order to get the car to stop, and this is only me going 5mph idling in reverse. I pull the car back into my garage and have same trouble stopping in drive this time and nearly hit the wall in my garage. I popped the hood and hear a very loud whistling like air getting sucked into a hose somewhere while the engine is running. I checked for brake fluid leaks and there are none. I checked my mastercylinder and its got plenty of fluid in it.

What would cause this? I am going to check some of my vacuum hoses and see if one got knocked loose yesterday will I was replacing the EGR Solenoid but other than that I am at a loss.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your brake booster line. Sounds like it came loose to me.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

I am not as mechanically inclined as I would like to be, but I am trying to learn with this car. Where exactly is the brake booster line? And, if it did come loose will plugging it back on fix the problem or has any damage been done to the car that I will need to address? BTW I'm at work right now and won't be able check the booster line until later today when I get home.

Is there anything else that could cause this that I should check as well?

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Brake booster line is a vacuum line that hooks up at your master cylinder.

(borrowed pic from the seafoam thread)
Old 10-09-2007, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks sooo much it was the brake booster vacuum hose. It was barely in there and as soon as I touched it, it came loose. I must have caught my sleeve in it when I replaced the EGR solenoid yesterday. THANKS FOR THE HELP. I love this forum community! Saved me tons of money.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how I felt when I found this forum. Nothing like learning something new and saving some cash at the same time.