General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Serpentine belt squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Serpentine belt squeal?

I park my car in the parking deck here on campus. Lot of stop, go, turning, slam on the brakes as an idiot flies around the corner, fun stuff Anyway, when I hit the gas to accelerate a little from a stop half the time I'll hear a quick squeak, almost like squealing tires but really quick and short. It can't be the tires because it did it with my old worn out ones and my new ones. Only thing I can think of is it is the serpentine slipping briefly.

But that puzzles me. If I'm parked and I give the engine a quick rev, no matter how hard or soft I rev it won't make the noise. Only does it when the engine is actually moving the car. I replaced the serpentine awhile ago with a new one since the old was wearing out and starting to crack so the belt is in tip-top shape. When I had the belt off I turned the pulleys by hand and they all seemed to spin normally. The belt and pulleys are dry. The tension on the belt seems good too, nothing appears loose.

I was told that my power steering pump is seeping a little around the shaft but it isn't bad, it doesn't even drip. It just gets the bottom part of the pump damp. But the fluid isn't getting on the belt itself so I don't think that could be it, can it?

Any ideas?

It is more annoying than anything. Car accelerates fine, drives fine, nothing seems out of the ordinary, just that brief squeal is bugging me because I know it isn't right.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To eliminate the belt itself or if pully/tensioner, etc. related, take it off with the engine cold and see if it does the same thing under the same circumstances. My guess would be the parking deck surface and tire squeal...just an idea.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Engine warm or cold, doesn't matter. It may do it when I first go somewhere, or after I've come back from home on the weekend after driving an hour.

When you say parking deck surface and tire squeal, I suppose that is a possibility. Odd thing is I don't hear it from any other car. But now I can't remember if it has done it on a straightaway at all or just on turns (though on a straightaway I usually just let it coast).

Maybe tonight I should just drive around the deck randomly and try and see if I can figure out anything definite. Also maybe go to a parking lot and see if it does it out there at all, that might help to determine whether it is the deck or not.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just change the belt, problem solved.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98boxer
just change the belt, problem solved.
No this is a new belt, so just getting another new one won't do anything.

Apparently you didn't read the post or you just did a fast skim because I mentioned it is a new belt in there

I'm starting to think it is just the parking deck, because I don't recall hearing it anywhere else.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the idler tensioner, you can by a replacement at most auto parts stores, it is a easy replacement. Most squeels come from that one

However, my a/c tensioner pulley is currently squeeling...that one you have to order from GM parts. Currently 128,000miles on my LS1 daily driver.

I sound like the grim reeper driving down the road, might keep it squeeling until after Halloween.

Sorry just noticed you have a v6, not sure if you have the two idlers pulley or not. I will say this though when my belt was off and I "hand spun the pulley" you could not hear the squeel, but once it was replaced-no more squeels.

Last edited by vincew1; 10-14-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have 2 idlers, one on the tensioner and one fixed one.

But I feel really dumb now

This morning when I left the parking deck I just coasted around the turns in the deck.. and it squealed. Much lower squeal but it was there. It is just the deck. Why it didn't do it on my old car I don't know but that is all it is.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt squeal?