General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

question about tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about tie rods

Ok... I took my car in to get it inspected... I knew it wouldnt pass but just wanted to see what all I needed to get fixed... They said the left and right outer tie rods are done for. Now I'm a complete noobie... do i need to replace the whole thing or just the tie rod ends? And is this something I can do myself(I have a mechanic that lives next door but I hate bothering him with big *** jobs) or would it just be easier to take it to dobbs or something? I know I need the alignment anyway.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

The tie rod ends are about $20 each and are extremely easy to replace. Do it yourself.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tie rod ends are pretty easy to replace. Get yourself a repair manual at the parts store or go to Autozone.com, they have a lot of repair info online.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

I was told to have an alignment done afterwards because it'll most likely need it - it would suck to wear some good tires as a result of an out of align car.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrEddie
I was told to have an alignment done afterwards because it'll most likely need it - it would suck to wear some good tires as a result of an out of align car.
I was going to suggest this to the O.P., as the toe will more than likely be way out of spec (EVEN if you mark the tie rod threads beforehand). If you could replace them yourself in the lot of the alignment place, you would not even risk tire wear.
BTW; the cheapest price I've ever seen for the Moog Problem Solver replacements (the best out there) is ~$53.00 each.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I was going to suggest this to the O.P., as the toe will more than likely be way out of spec (EVEN if you mark the tie rod threads beforehand). If you could replace them yourself in the lot of the alignment place, you would not even risk tire wear.
BTW; the cheapest price I've ever seen for the Moog Problem Solver replacements (the best out there) is ~$53.00 each.
So the Moogs are the best? There are some that have lifetime warranties for less than that, is the Moog definitely worth the extra?

I've changed the tie rod ends on my DD car a few times. I always use the marking method, never had it aligned, and it drives perfectly straight with no uneven wear. I'm not saying that is the correct method though.