General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bad vibration = tire balance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad vibration = tire balance?

Hi, my car vibrates alot when at high speeds (80+). Could this be tire balance or bad cv joints? The faster I go, the more vibration I get. Anyone know anything else it could be? Thanx.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Launching!

sounds like tier balancing, how does it drive threw town? did mine months back, coulndt stand it, my seats were shaking crazy, ending being 3.75 oz of weight off.....

try that first its the cheapest way to cancell out others
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem i guess i need to get an alignment.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have vibration, but new tires and freshly balanced and everything and it is still there. Along with an annoying swishing sound from one of the passenger wheels that I can't figure out, I think they are related somehow but not sure what it is!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I have vibration, but new tires and freshly balanced and everything and it is still there. Along with an annoying swishing sound from one of the passenger wheels that I can't figure out, I think they are related somehow but not sure what it is!
Try wheel bearing or tie rod. I had a clunk that I could not find, turned out to be a bad bearing on the passenger side. I would have never guessed that to be the cause. My old mechanic said wheel stuff can make some crazy noises
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Particularly if the vibration is 100% speed based - it doesn't change with road type, weather, engine load, etc - then try having them road force balanced at a Discount tire if you haven't. Most shops don't have road force balancers, and it can make a difference. Discount tire is one of the few chains that uses them. Vibrations caused by bad parts will usually be influenced by one of the above things, but not wheel balancing.

I went the three different regular shops before studying up and hitting a discount tire. My car had wheel balance vibrations that were driving me crazy until I had the road force balancing done. It's like $40 for lifetime rotate and balancing. Well worth it.

Trust me, it is absolutely possible to have balancing done on a regular dynamic balancer and still have vibes. Give this a shot if you can't find mechanical problems.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1tones
Try wheel bearing or tie rod. I had a clunk that I could not find, turned out to be a bad bearing on the passenger side. I would have never guessed that to be the cause. My old mechanic said wheel stuff can make some crazy noises
Tie rod ends in the front have been replaced. Any way to find out exactly what it is? I'm getting sick of replacing stuff that doesn't need it in an attempt to solve this, I don't have money to spare to keep doing that.

Pretty sure it is the rear passenger wheel doing it. My pad is apparently rubbing the outer edge on the rotor since the rotor has a shiny ring forming and the pad was scuffed up there. Replaced the caliper and it didn't fix it. Plus I had it in the shop getting some stuff in the front fixed (tie rod ends, LCA bushings, alignment, etc...) and nothing else showed up there wrong.

Is this the right bearing to get for the rear?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=186&PTSet=A
Or do I need the bearing kit (whatever the difference is besides price)?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=186&PTSet=A

Or is that not at all what I need? How hard is the wheel bearing to replace?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It could also be a bent wheel...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

its the driveshaft, you need a larger diameter. its most likely out of balance.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Teching In

I second the driveshaft. I read something awhile back that said our cars (f-bodys) have vibration from the drive shaft over 75mph. not sure where I read it but I have the same vibration in my 98 T/A that I had in my 93. just my 2 cents though
Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by John02Hawk
It could also be a bent wheel...
gahhh don't say that...

They look good, and when I had new tires put on and the tires balanced nothing showed up there.

Would a bent wheel cause brake rubbing though? Actually, would a bearing cause the rubbing either?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

A bearing could if it's so far gone it allows the axle shaft to somewhat shift in and out of the housing a little. I'm getting that repaired on mine as we speak. Definately made some crazy *** noises with bad bearings.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just looking for a way to find out for certain if that is it or not. I can't afford to keep replacing parts randomly. If I jack up the back of the car is there anything I can do (tug, shake, wiggle, whatever) to be pretty sure whether or not that is it?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

IF you have any play in the axle, it's mostly likely a bearing issue. From my understanding, the axle bearings help to keep it in place, and if there's any real noticeable play in the axle, or a popping sound while you turn, the axle shaft is loose. New bearings SHOULD take care of it. If the problem persists, you have bigger problems.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK I'll try that when I'm home next weekend and can jack the rear up. The vibration isn't a big deal to me - vibrates less than my old car did! - but the abnormal marks on the rotor and pad and the noise is what does.

I checked a service manual, looks like a bearing isn't a job I want to try myself.

Thanks for your help.

I guess I kinda hijacked the thread
Sorry