General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I. A. C. Valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I. A. C. Valve

I am very new to this forum.

Experiencing some idle problems and surging problems. Some one said I needed to adjust the I.A.C. Valve.

What, Where and how do you adjust the "I.A.C. Valve"??
Old 10-31-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good advice starts with good information. Lets start with:
What do you have?
What mods?
Had it been running well for a long time and this is recent?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Moving to General Maintenance & Repairs...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stands for Idle Air Control valve. It is controlled by the computer and allows in just enough air to maintain the idle speed when the throttle is closed. On my car (LT1) it is located in the bottom of the throttle body, I'm pretty sure an LS1 is the same. It's not really a part you would adjust, it should adjust itself, but it might need to be cleaned. Try searching these forums or on the interent for some info on cleaning it, I know you're not supposed to use certain chemicals on it but I don't remember all the details.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

i cleaned mine when i ported the tb, wow that sucka was dirty full of carbon
Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Default I.A. C. Valve

Just finished installing Cam & Heads. What a difference. Still have some fine tuning to do. Car is not happy at slow speed, in traffic, stop light, or when I shift fm park into either "D" or "R". Trying to figure out what to do to fix problem and it was suggested I may have to drill a small hole in the Throttle Body "Blade" or do a better job adjusting the I.A.C. valve. Made it sound as if it was something one could do manualy. Must understand I am a dinasoar, when it comes to everything being controlled & adjusted via the computer, but I am learning. I am an old fart, reliving my childhood. Appreciate this site. The guy doing the tune knows his stuff big time, but we live in NW Montana and it is a 200 mile round trip. Have been trying to help figure out this problem.
Attached Thumbnails I. A. C. Valve-camaro-3.jpg  

Last edited by equalizer; 11-08-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Repeated twice
Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by equalizer
Just finished installing Cam & Heads. What a difference. Still have some fine tuning to do. Car is not happy at slow speed, in traffic, stop light, or when I shift fm park into either "D" or "R". Trying to figure out what to do to fix problem and it was suggested I may have to drill a small hole in the Throttle Body "Blade" or do a better job adjusting the I.A.C. valve. Made it sound as if it was something one could do manualy. Must understand I am a dinasoar, when it comes to everything being controlled & adjusted via the computer, but I am learning. I am an old fart, reliving my childhood. Appreciate this site. The guy doing the tune knows his stuff big time, but we live in NW Montana and it is a 200 mile round trip. Have been trying to help figure out this problem.
I don't know why someone would suggest drilling a hole in the TB blade. That's what the IAC is for, to regulate airflow to maintain the correct idle speed. If it is idling rough after the cam install that is an issue for your tuner to fix, any decent tuner should be able to do that easily.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

Dont drill the hole! Get it tuned..