General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help. Problem with daily driver.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help. Problem with daily driver.

My camaro ss is having problems. While I am driving in any gear, the car will all of a sudden start hesitating its almost as if I hit a rev limiter or something. When this happens the temp gauge drops to zero. I really don't know whats going on and I am at work. I hope it doesnt break on the way home. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

It sounds like your computer might be taking a **** dude.

it could be a super dirty fuel filter or low fuel pressure dueo a failing fuel pump but that does not explain your guages going nutz.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Launching!

I checked all my plugs and wires last night. which were all new within 4 months. I have a newer fuel filter too. I checked the ground from the battery to the metal on the wheel well. I noticed last night that when i was revving the motor, as it got back down to idle, the lights would flicker and I heard a relay or something clicking right in one of the fuse boxes under the hood. By the time I opened the boxes though it stopped clicking. Maybe its associated? And how much does a new computer cost by the way? I would imagine its not cheap.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill bet its just a bad ground wire .. When you have a bad ground all sorts or crazy **** can happen..

Check all your grounds from battery, frame and all that good stuff. Or you can just use an OHM meter to find out where the bad ground is..
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the temp gauge drops to zero I'd take a look at the ECT sensor connection/wiring....PCM uses it's input for several things. Just for info PCM's are covered under the federal emissions warranty for 8 yrs/80K. No SES light, right?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Its not throwing any codes. And where besides right by the battery should I check the ground connection?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Ok. So I messed with the ground wire a little bit and the problem had gone away. Now its back. So I just replaced all the battery wires with 2 gage wire cause i figured it could use an upgrade. But the car is still doing the same thing with the bucking and hesitating, the temp gauge still drops, and now my gas gauge is kind of fluttering or flicking slightly. It also started dying when I was at a stop light. I know the battery wires are good now. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. How likely is this to be my ecm?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Launching!

no idea? really?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw a pic on here at one time of how corroded the connector plug was at the PCM.I'd check that maybe- I'd also use my VOM (voltmeter) to check volts at battery terminals to see if altenator is up to the job especially under load.I think it's supposed to be around 13.8-14.2? I hear low volts can cause the gauges to act funny.Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

There are a few grounds on the back of the heads, one that connects the block to the frame on the DS and another that goes straight to the negative termainal of the battery on the PS of the block.

I also suggest checking the coolant temp sensor, my connector was a little FAQ'd up, everytime I hit a bump it would disconnect and make the PCM think that the coolant was at -37 or something crazy like that. When that happened it would mess with the fueling and screw it all up, sometimes it would die, sometimes it wouldn't, and it also made my auto down shift.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Ok just as a resolution in case anyone else has the problem. I did replace the coolant temp sensor and it stopped doing it. Its running fine now. Its kinda funny cause the damn sensor was only like a year old, I had broken it off while changing my spark plugs the last time. Guess the new one was defective. Thanks guys for all the help.