General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

any advice plz?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any advice plz?

I have a 1998 camaro z28. I took my car to service chevy yesterday for a fast clicking noise when i'm over 3k rpm's. I messed up shifting the other day and wasn't completely in 4th gear (between neutral and 4th) and let off the clutch and my car locked up going about 70 and skid a little, then I started hearing the clicking noise when above 3000 rpms in every gear. Chevy says its my lifters, rocker arm and pushrods. I don't know much about these things. The said it was going to cost 3k for parts and labor. Kinda outrageous to me. Please..any advice? Are they trying to get extra $ out of me?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like their trying to get extra money out of ya. The pushrods are the weakest link in the valvetrain and known to bend easily, more then likely that is your only problem.If your not mechanicly inclined then your best bet would be to find a helping hand in your area and do it yourself.Its a very easy job and would only take a couple hours.Just make sure to check your rocker arms while ya have it apart to be on the safe side.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah they don't call it the stealership for nothing. If you dont feel confident in opening up the top of the motor then take it to another local shop. I will never have work done by the dealer. You could get another motor almost for that much cash.