General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another Random Misfire thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Random Misfire thread

I've read up on some of the other threads posted but wanted some advice on my specific situation before digging in anymore.

The car is a 2000 Trans am with long tubes, ORY, and exhaust. I have not tuned the car since the header install, and have o2 simulators.

I've already pulled and checked all of my plugs and wires (which only had about 6,000 miles on them when it started missing) and they were fine. I had the car scanned and it said the problem was on the 6th cylinder, and was recomended to change the coil, so I did. Since replacing the coil, it runs better, but still misses... not as bad, but more often.

The weird thing is that it only misses (well, 98% of the time) when it's raining or wet out.

I read in some of the other threads it could be my valve springs. How hard of a job, and how costly is that to do?

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue like that where I couldn't figure out where the hell my misfire was coming from. It would randomly jump around from cylinder to cylinder. I checked the plugs and they looked fine as well...so I just decided to buy new plugs and wires regardless. Along with new o2 sensors for the front. That cured my problem, it could be a plug. My friends car was misfiring too, he had too much anti-seize on his plugs.

I know some shops charge anywhere from 400-600 bucks(I think) to do a valve spring swap. Does the car idle funny? Sputter at a certain RPM?

And they say a lot of the time, individual coils won't ever go bad
Old 11-16-2007, 01:45 AM
Teching In

When its missing it idles low and stumbles, then accelerates like crap to about 2600 rpms, then launches it self for about 1000 rpms then runs like crap again.

I've already pulled the plugs and wires twice, so its not something I want to do again but I may replace them all anyway.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be a valve spring. You can check them out by taking off your valve cover and just giving them a look.

How are your o2 sensors?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DaGeneral
I could be a valve spring. You can check them out by taking off your valve cover and just giving them a look.

How are your o2 sensors?
I've got o2 Simulators one my y-pipe for now cats, those are fine.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it happens when it rains it is most likely the plug wire. Fill a Windex bottle with water and mist it over the #6 wire while the car is running. Then see if you get any arcing.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plugs and wires should be the first things for you to check. They're so easy to access on your LS1 anyway. I had a similar problem with my LT1. 3 opti jobs, 2 new O2 sensors, ignition coil and plug wires later, it turned out to be a bad plug that was visually immaculate.