General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I think my boss killed my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think my boss killed my car

Big question will a converter kill your motor. About 2and a half weeks ago my cars trans overheated and blew pass the front seal I knew what happend I've been working in transmission shops for about 5 or 6 years now, my gauge pegged out past 250 wasen't even playin hard. On my way to shut it off it started to blow pass the front seal (tranny fluid). Noticed that it wouldn't go into lock up that's why it overheated. Got it back to the shop and the next day pulled it out pan had fine metal in it, every thing in the unit was fine looked like stock stuff though so every one said converter. O.K. Im running a MS3 cam with a ss4000yank my power band is from 2300-6800, yank said since I bought the car with it in there no warranty 275 just to cut it open I had the car not even 30 days had yet made a payment, never ran the trans temp over 200 I havent held it to the floor for more than 2 seconds. So my boss says he'll fix it I explain that i need a performance converter 2800to3600 he says o.k. he said he got a dacco 2800 i said good I look at it its a 12 incher ? i said again 2800 we need to check they asured me a 28 is what i had. I know that high stalls come in 10 inches. But I put it in and it was like hell i put it in gear bang didnt fell like a stall at all. after 2 days of driving it, it wouldnt stay running in gear so I held about 2300 rpm and tryed to get it home about a mile kept cutting off when I was trying to leave so I held it 3600 about 3 or 4 secs came of noticed oil press flux and then came a slight knock I think it came from brake gassing trying to leave. this is killing me I wanted this car for 4 years and finallygot one and this happends.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lsxdream
my gauge pegged out past 250 wasen't even playin hard.
It sounds like there may be multiple problems going on here. My car was low on coolant and showed similar behavior. Temp would go from normal to boiling instantly. Check fluid levels, make sure fans are operating, bleed cooling system. The fact that you're hearing a knock makes me wonder if you overheated the engine.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

had similar problem in an old blazer. you could put foot to the floor and it wouldnt go anywhere. It was the dead of winter and dang cold. changed out thermostat, topped it off and good as new.

always try simple stuff first.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

The problems with the trans have nothing to do with the oil press and knocking problem in the engine. Just an ugly coincidence.

Re'
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
The problems with the trans have nothing to do with the oil press and knocking problem in the engine. Just an ugly coincidence.

Re'
Actually, the tranny cooler is one with the radiator, motor overheats, so does the tranny. He already said it puked out the front seal of the transmission, which is a tale tale sign of overheating.... sounds like you were able to take out your transmisson and motor at once... But hopefully, you can go over things like has already been posted and maybe you'll come out ok. But, take that dayco converter out, AFAIK it is not a performance converter...still with whats proven, and get the one you had before sent back to the manufactuer, tell them to freshen it up, and put it back in your car.