General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window switch panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window switch panel

i replaced the window motor on my drivers side window but i wasn't careful when i took the switches off and i broke the clip that is closest to the drivers seat, so do i have to replace the entire window switch housing? also, the bulb for the little light that projects to the switches is dead. i tried to pull it off, but it looks like the bulb and the plastic piece is all together so i cant take it off. does any one know where i can find a replacement bulb?

thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what you broke, you mean the little plastic "ears" on the panel that the spring clip slides into, or the metal clip itself? I did that and just superglued the metal spring clip back on. If it's the metal clip it's available at the dealership. http://shbox.com/page/W1.jpg Know what bulb you're talking about but never tried replacing it, someone will chime in. Welcome to the board.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

i replaced mine with a 74 bulb.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Not sure what you broke, you mean the little plastic "ears" on the panel that the spring clip slides into, or the metal clip itself? I did that and just superglued the metal spring clip back on. If it's the metal clip it's available at the dealership. http://shbox.com/page/W1.jpg Know what bulb you're talking about but never tried replacing it, someone will chime in. Welcome to the board.
actually i just looked at it again and compared it to the passangers side, it looks like i broke the plastic "ear" thing, the one in the diagram is still there, but the other one that isnt shown is broken
Old 12-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sroach20
i replaced mine with a 74 bulb.
how did u take the bulb out? i tried pulling it off but it wouldnt move

thanks again
Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pennywisdom
actually i just looked at it again and compared it to the passengers side, it looks like i broke the plastic "ear" thing, the one in the diagram is still there, but the other one that isnt shown is broken
i did the same thing, i think i paid $18 shipped. i had to remove the bulb piece by piece.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sroach20
i did the same thing, i think i paid $18 shipped. i had to remove the bulb piece by piece.
where did u order it from? or can i just go to my local chevy dealer and get it from them?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pennywisdom
how did u take the bulb out? i tried pulling it off but it wouldnt move

thanks again
Those bulbs will generally be stuck in from years of corrossion. They generally haven't been replaced since the car came off the assmebly line.

In situations like this, I generally try to get something behind the back of the bulb to pry with like a scribe. Then I get frustrated and use pliers. This generally results in me breaking the bulb and cussing a lot.

That said, it helps if you know whether the bulb needs to turn to come out or just pulls straight. For instance 194 bulbs come straight out; 1157 1156 turn... Experience shows that small bulbs generally pull straight out of their pigtail, but that the pigtail is generally retained in a housing which it turns into (such as the setup for the window switch and power door lock illumination).

Hope this helps.