General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air pump causing CEL & State Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air pump causing CEL & State Inspections

Sorry for the long post. I purchased my '02 SS about a year and a half ago in Myrtle Beach, SC. Drove it back home to Wilmington, NC with no issues. About a week later, it rained non-stop for a few days, therefore completely flooding the parking lot at my place of work. I had no dry route to take home that evening so I could either spend the night at work or try to make it home. I slowly went through the deep water so as not to suck water into the intake. I managed to get home with no issues or so I thought.

A few days later, I cranked her up and the CEL came on. I went and had the codes read and it showed that the air pump circuit was faulty. I also researched the code on this site and it seemed to confirm the previous diagnosis. Came home and checked the fuse and it checked out. The next morning when the engine was cold the air pump was dead but the harness was getting power. I had planned on getting the car inspected that weekend but after reading some of the posts here (and the inherent tendency for these to go bad), I decided to wait until I had Heads/CAM/LT installed and then get the code permanently erased. I was going to keep all of the hardware intact so as to satisfy visual inspections. Because of financial reasons, I haven't had a chance to do this yet.

Here is my question: Is there a way to reset the computer (say Saturday morning), drive to the inspection center (5 miles away) and no code show up? I was planning on waiting until next summer to perform my upgrades but yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the state telling me that this needs to be done asap or else pay a hefty fine.

At the moment the car sits in my backyard underneath a cover so I can keep the miles off of it, for now, so I don't want to buy a new air pump/check valves when I plan on having the code permanently programmed out next year. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

No if you disconnect the battery it will reset all of the IM monitors to no and you will have to drive it through the drive cycles to go to pass or yes but it will still fail bc of the air pump. Now if you had a custom tune turn the code of and set the IM monitor to yes you are good to go. They have no way of knowing what is going on but you still have to drive it a pretty good ways in order for the rest of the Monitors to run correctly.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Several of the sponsors on here will delete certain codes for a reasonable usually less than what you will pay for the smog pump.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Several of the sponsors on here will delete certain codes for a reasonable usually less than what you will pay for the smog pump.
Thanks guys. That is what I suspected. I will think on it...
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

About the sponsors, do you know which ones? I assume that I will have to ship my computer off to them? Thanks.