General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal lever

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007 | 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Turn signal lever

Anyone have any good writeups or tips for replacing this? Deciding if I need to swap the whole console(got a good deal on one with everything working) or just swap the lever out. The lever itself goes for a ridiculous price online, but my cruise nor wipers work, and I have a feeling it's the arm. Have a few other things to try, but wanted to get a feeler out there first to see what others thought.
Old 12-05-2007 | 03:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Malicious
Anyone have any good writeups or tips for replacing this? Deciding if I need to swap the whole console(got a good deal on one with everything working) or just swap the lever out. The lever itself goes for a ridiculous price online, but my cruise nor wipers work, and I have a feeling it's the arm. Have a few other things to try, but wanted to get a feeler out there first to see what others thought.
How about the factory service manual, Chilton, and Haynes? I think they all cover this.

Also, you didn't mention year/make/model of your vehicle...
Old 12-06-2007 | 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a haynes, don't have a chiltons though... 97 WS6, sorry... Was mostly asking if it was warranted to replace the whole column to do this, haynes does cover it, but seems semi complex, but to do the column you have to pull the steering wheel anyways. Sounds like a Saturday project if I can even find the damn arm for less than a ridiculous price... I think its the multifunction switch thats bad, and Haynes says it can be diagnosed with a scan tool? I'm assuming it's right, it's in the book, just don't see how it would, and that appears to be REALLY easy to change, just pop it out and back in.
Old 12-07-2007 | 01:40 AM
Launching!

Last time I took my column apart I forgot to tighten a screw that connects to the high beam lever. Now I don't have high beams.

I just live without them, but then again, I live near Los Angeles. There's no shortage of light.
Old 12-07-2007 | 06:51 AM
Teching In

The arm and the switch are 2 separate parts. The lever will pull out of the switch if you give a gentle tug while twisting (Grab ahold of the lever w/ your left hand putting the tab for the w/s wash btwn your thumb and forefinger). It should come out of the switch with a LITTLE force. Don't yank on it too hard. There is an access panel right around the switch that you can take off to unhook the cruise control wires;these are the ones you should be able to see coming out of the lever. The switch in the column just controls the wipers. The cruise is separate-controlled by the lever itself. Hope that helps

Chris
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, it's not the lever I don't think... I'm having issues getting my wiper arms off to get the cowl off to check voltage at the wiper motor, which I have a replacement for already... soon as I get that out I'm just going to swap the motor, since I know the one I got works, see where that goes... if thats not it I'm in a tough spot figuring out where the problem really lies... If it's the switch I'll have to tear apart the column to fix that and that sucks =X

According to GM Parts Direct, the switch is #8 in that picture, and when you turn the lever forward to mist or set the delay and what not, it's all mechanical, basically, from the lever to the switch in the column, which is interpreted by the switch?

Last edited by Malicious; 12-07-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2007 | 07:14 AM
Teching In

Correct, all wiper functions are actuated by the lever mechanically turning the switch in the column.

You may need a wiper arm puller to remove them.

Last edited by 01sschris; 12-10-2007 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the wiper arms off, tested new motor on the wiring, no go, checked voltage at the pigtail, good voltage, probably the switch... Sucks...
Old 12-11-2007 | 08:38 AM
Teching In

If you still have access to the motor pigtail, see what voltage your getting on the dark green wire with the wipers on low speed. You should see 12V there on all speeds. If you don't, try unplugging the wiper fluid pump up front and see if the wipers operate.