General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! something snapped

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! something snapped

okay, i noticed earlier today on the freeway my car felt a lil rough cruising (extra vibration), i noticed this the last couple times i drove, well later i drive a mile from my house and i felt a small thump when i left the light, then i shift to 2nd, go downhill and hear a bunch of metal banging like i ran over something, but nothing, i thought my exhaust broke or suspension because it sounds like something is dragging on the ground, stop at the light, i rev hear nothing, i go onbase and when i shift to second the trans bangs against the floorboard, ****, i put it back into first and the dragging sound continues, every bump metal is banging, i park, look under the car and nothing is hanging down, i dont see anything broken but my fuel filter is slowly leaking fuel. when i get back in and reverse slowly when i stop again sounds like and feels like the trans is hitting something. could this be a mount? please help daily driver.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the tranny mounts, also the engine mounts (engine rocking more could cause the exhaust to rock and hit the floorpans).

Wouldn't hurt to check swaybars either (my old car broke the rear one's end link and clunked a lot).
Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

well wouldn't the motor mount rattle even with an rev of the engine, this noise is only when the car stops, goes over bumps or change of gears.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Could be a sway bar endlinks...I hope it is....they are simple.

Turn the front wheels left or right and give a look under. The back end has themm too.

If not check torque arm, engine/tranny mounts, rear end gears, differential.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Teching In

My bet is your tranny mount, the same exact thing happened to me with my old Trans Am. Its an easy fix, you remove 6 (if I remember correctly) bolts and pop the new one in place
Old 12-12-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully a trans mount is all it needs, but when mine broke recently I didn't have all of those issues, just the bump under the floor when taking off.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input, it turned out to be the trans torque rod mount bolt, that connects the trans to the rear end. the bolt snapped and the support beam was hitting the floorboard. when my trans was swapped the bolt must have not been tighten enough. easy fix.

Quick Reply: HELP! something snapped