General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sputtering and Blinking SES Light in Rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sputtering and Blinking SES Light in Rain

So its happened once, maybe twice before, but this time was worse. Im just driving along in the rain and my car starts sputtering with hardly any power. So i have to give it a little more gas to keep moving. It will sputter for a bit, then it will just lunge forward as it seemed to have got all its power back all of a sudden. I was sitting at a light on a hill and the car was shaking pretty bad. Idle was around 700rpms. I got on the expressway in the slow lane and it was sputtering kinda bad, and then i noticed the SES light started blinking. Then after a minute or 2, it stopped and the car was fine the rest of the way home.

This is the weird part. I am pretty sure each time it has happened, it started shortly after taking off from a light and spinning my tires quite a bit accidentally (roads were slick).

It seemed as if water was bogging down the engine. When i had my Prelude and a low cold air intake this happened quite a bit until i raised it. But it doesnt seem feasible with my Camaro, since the lid is so high. I have no cold air setup, just replaced the stock lid with an SLP lid.

Anyone have any ideas? Its only happened in the rain, and i think after the spinning of the tires. Other than these few times it has always ran strong. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a simular problem a few months ago. I believe it ended up being a O2 sensor. It wasnt kicking out the codes for it when i check but like with your problem, the SES light would go in and out.. Also might want to check the plug wires make sure they are all seated good, seen it where one might get a little loose from time to time and that will do the same thing.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i remember in my ford f150... not saying this is your problem... but that when the ses light blinked on and off that it was something messing up in the transmission.. and it kicked the tranny into a safe mode sort of deal...
if you mean that the light comes on for about 20 seconds or so and then turns off, that is the problem i am having now, and the codes that were pulled from that were the o2 sensors
Old 12-21-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

the check engine light will flash when enging damage can occur, usually with dead cylinders and things like that. It sounds like in your case you had a bad misfire. If it only happens it the rain then it has to be water getting in somewhere. The easiest thing to do is get a spraybottle of water, mix in a tablespoon of salt, then get under the car and spray all of your connectors with a good amount of the solution, with the car running to see if it starts running bad. The salt will help bring out the fault in an electrical system. If you dont find anything under the car, check under the hood. Thats a quick easy check for your electrical connectors
Old 12-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Well, my SES light is always on. It showed up shortly before i did my exhaust. Pretty sure one of the sensors near the cat was bad, and i think thats why it showed up. Now i have no cats so its going to show up. Need to diagnose it for sure and get it turned off.

It seems to only happen after i accidentally spin my tires for 1-2 seconds in the rain. It starts after that. None of the times has it just happened while ive been driving in the rain. Its only happened after the tires spinning. Coincidence? I dunno. Strange though.

Could water splashing something on the underside of the car cause this? The cat sensors are still there. They were plugged up and tucked away, but maybe i should take a look that them again.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure. That sounds pretty crazy. I cant think of anything off the top of my head of why it would do it after a tire spin. If it only happens when its wet out, regardless of the tire spin, then its wet related. If you can spin the tires when its dry out and the light blinks then you got a whole different problem. it sounds kind of crazy, but ive seen worse
Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its the O2 sensor probably driver side. Mine was doing the same thing. The driver side o2 got burned on the header and when it rained it would foul it up.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yup check the 02 sensor wires, i know on my friend trans am his dose that every time we go to the car wash or threw water, water kicks up under there and the car will do exactly like you were saying
Old 12-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Yea i bet thats what it is. Ill check em out. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you scan for the code to see if it was random miss fire or a miss fire to a specic cylinder because a blinking ses light obd2 car means a severe miss fire.