General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misfire?? Hard Ass Idling; Ses Flashes!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OBD2 i think its from 97 up, and some 96's
Old 01-12-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghardester
You can buy a code reader for about the price of 2 tanks of gas, or less. Doesn't have to be a fancy one. I consider it an essential tool to have. Ever since I took one of my cars to the shop for a SES light only to find out the gas cap was loose. A code reader won't always tell you the exact problem, but it will point you in the right direction. And there is an OBD II data port on every car since the early nineties. OBD=On Board Diagnostics. The port is right under the dash, above your right leg, on the drivers side.
Yeah, this is what I would have suggested first (I use my scanner all the time to save the hastle of finding a shop to scan codes for me), but I figured they didn't want to spend the extra dough on getting one, since they seem to be all about buying parts and changing them at random...
Old 01-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

ok guys mine is also doing the same thing , check your egr most likely if it stubles at idle and runs fine up top egr comes into play as well as o2's wires and ect, mine was caused by the egr tube being bent metering unmeasured air , since it was cracked .the egr only functions at idle or when warm sending in burst of exhuast gases to cool the chamber ... causing my stumble hoope that helps
Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Teching In

mine had a similar problem but it would backfire and shut off, turned out to be the crankshaft angle sensor
Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ever fix it?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Default hahaha

All your replys freaking crack me up... Yes I know it was my bad to not have it scanned why i didnt think about that dont ask ok... Im blonde and just was to stubborn... But other than that I did have it scanned and the codes were p0131, 0134 pretty much boiling down to the ******* 02 sensor.... at least i got that other **** changed,,,, so **** it. haha! the codes saying pretty much o2 sensor 1 in bank one has low voltage, so in call defective sensor.. I was told it was located near the exhaust manifold in front of the engine.. I have a chiltons auto manual.. .Just if anyone has easier instructions that would be great.. btw thanks for all the replys made my day... hahahah! and to answer the last post **** no i didnt get it fixed im a stubborn bitch who works waaay to much and cant drive anyways now that im suspended haha! Lifes a bitch but i guess thats what makes it interesting ;-)

xox Megan.... look forward to a reply!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sexxyitalian86
All your replys freaking crack me up... Yes I know it was my bad to not have it scanned why i didnt think about that dont ask ok... Im blonde and just was to stubborn... But other than that I did have it scanned and the codes were p0131, 0134 pretty much boiling down to the ******* 02 sensor.... at least i got that other **** changed,,,, so **** it. haha! the codes saying pretty much o2 sensor 1 in bank one has low voltage, so in call defective sensor.. I was told it was located near the exhaust manifold in front of the engine.. I have a chiltons auto manual.. .Just if anyone has easier instructions that would be great.. btw thanks for all the replys made my day... hahahah! and to answer the last post **** no i didnt get it fixed im a stubborn bitch who works waaay to much and cant drive anyways now that im suspended haha! Lifes a bitch but i guess thats what makes it interesting ;-)

xox Megan.... look forward to a reply!
'Sup Megan. Here's your reply.

The O2 is up in the engine bay, just below where the manifold comes to one pipe (you're looking for the driver's side one between the cat and the engine). Should be pretty obvious...look for a cylinder piece of metal with wires coming out of the end of it, sticking out of the exhaust manifold pipe near the engine. Wrench it out (if it's not frozen in place over time) and replace - the wires should unplug from the engine harness. Piece of cake.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 AM

Default Damn Car Grr

Ok we changed o2 sensor 1 on drivers side... the piece was all black and when i shook it it rattled... turn the car on and still the car smells and sounds like it did still.... and light flashes.. the codes it thorugh were exactly what we fixed and said nothing about anything else... could it be a vacumme leak that causes all this.. wtf do i do???? I dont have the money to throw around likke i am anyone please help..... my step dad thinks all this could be cause water in the tank also... im in need of help...thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok we changed o2 sensor 1 on drivers side... the piece was all black and when i shook it it rattled... turn the car on and still the car smells and sounds like it did still.... and light flashes.. the codes it thorugh were exactly what we fixed and said nothing about anything else... could it be a vacumme leak that causes all this.. wtf do i do???? I dont have the money to throw around likke i am anyone please help..... my step dad thinks all this could be cause water in the tank also... im in need of help...thanks
I don't think it's water in the tank, unless you poured some water in there or got some shitty gas from a station. Nevertheless, buy 3-4 bottles of dry gas from Autozone and add it all at once to your tank. It's a very cheap way to try and take care of the problem if it is water in the tank. Shouldn't cost more than 10 bones.

If that's not it and it's still giving you the codes for the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 and you've already changed it, I'd say start looking at the wires running from the O2 to the PCM...The harness may have gotten fried along that wire. If that's the case, you can re-wire the O2 directly to the PCM with some heavy gauge wire from Autozone or Home Depot (Autozone is cheaper for wire). It'll be a little complicated and your engine bay may not be as dressy as before, but the car will work then.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Ok too all of you who tried to help i appreciate it.... I finally broke and took it to a damn shop... They were really cool and nice and turns out all it was was a coil pack for 2&5 cylinders... OMG I had thought to do that and never did, so i just payed the 100$ and drove off good as new.... relief YES! the part was 57.00 and the labor 37.00 too me well worth it just to have it fixed and out of my head! My car has power again! thanks again everyone!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very odd that if it was a coilpack it was not throwing a misfire code like a PO300 through a PO308 especially since the SES light was flashing too but glad you got it taken care of.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:24 PM

oh i know i didnt understand that either, kinda of frustrating but glad it was figured out.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Ok too all of you who tried to help i appreciate it.... I finally broke and took it to a damn shop... They were really cool and nice and turns out all it was was a coil pack for 2&5 cylinders... OMG I had thought to do that and never did, so i just payed the 100$ and drove off good as new.... relief YES! the part was 57.00 and the labor 37.00 too me well worth it just to have it fixed and out of my head! My car has power again! thanks again everyone!
Refering to the coil pack for 2 & 5 cylinders. Does that mean we have been talking about the V-6 with the 3 coils?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the same issues w/ mine. I scanned it w/ my deal and I am running the following SES':

0305-I know I prob need to replace the damn coil pack/ignition coil on Cyl #5
0704-I need to replace the O2 sensors.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by onecrazygm
ok guys mine is also doing the same thing , check your egr most likely if it stubles at idle and runs fine up top egr comes into play as well as o2's wires and ect, mine was caused by the egr tube being bent metering unmeasured air , since it was cracked .the egr only functions at idle or when warm sending in burst of exhuast gases to cool the chamber ... causing my stumble hoope that helps
I may be wrong, but the EGR valve doesnt sound like it would have caused these symptoms. I currently have the same systems, and will switch out my O2's (pre-cat) and the wires with MDS ones. I have an '01 WS6 and they came w/o an EGR valve, so that is what I am basing my opinion on. Just my opinion though.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Launching!

A flashing CEL/SES simply means there is a catalyst damaging event setting a code.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arise Thread! Arise!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Launching!

A flashing SES light is an indicator that there is a problem that can cause damage to the cats. This can be a serious misfire(s), a clogged cat, detonation, etc. But the flashing MIL is just telling you that the problem is serious enough to destory the cats and to pull the car over and shut it off asap.