General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Supercharger-like sound from Hell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm.....try turning the engine over by hand with a ratchet and socket on the crank pulley and see if you can hear the noise. You might be able to determine better where it is coming from if you can hear it then.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
hmm.....try turning the engine over by hand with a ratchet and socket on the crank pulley and see if you can hear the noise. You might be able to determine better where it is coming from if you can hear it then.
Great idea! I hadn't thought of that. I'll be trying this soon
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Keep us posted. My car is having the exact same issue. Let me guess, the noise changes with RPMs, sounds something in between a whistle and a squeak, but the car still runs perfectly fine?

Last edited by big_g; 11-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Default Yes sir

Originally Posted by big_g
Keep us posted. My car is having the exact same issue. Let me guess, the noise changes with RPMs, sounds something in between a whistle and a squeak, but the car still runs perfectly fine?
Correct, more of a whine / whistle (like a super charger)

I've tried the following with no changes..(Still making the sound)

removed oil cap and ran
Ensured all pcv lines are connected to proper location and no leaking
checked for vacuum leak (none)
Triple checked intake manifold torque specs (89in lbs)
Ran it with the air lid disconnected (just MAF connected to throttle body)
Changed oil 2x (no metal shavings or anything strange came out)
Removed throttle body and cleaned
Cleaned the IAC and made sure O-ring wasnt damaged
Rev'd the engine with the clutch in and out

I'm running the factory Throttle Body
Someone mentioned it could be the factory hole in the OE throttle body blade... I doubt it, but just incase: Anybody getting this noise with an aftermarket throttle body with a solid blade/butterfly?

I'm running out of ideas, silly because it runs great
Old 11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Launching!

I recenty developed a "squeeking" noise along with the whistle. Thinking it's my alternator. I found a thread on that and the guy said his alternator was making a "supercharger-like whine" for a little while before it totally crapped out on him. I forget all you've checked, but just tossing it out. Let you know if replacing my alternator (assuming that's it) fixes both the squeek and the whistle.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to get that noise off and on, a whistle that varied with rpm. Got new AIR check valves, didn't fix it. But since I changed to an ls6 valley cover + PCV setup about a year and a half ago, the whistle has not come back. So maybe it was PCV related? I had also replaced that rubber piece that the PCV valve fits into with a piece of heater hose for a better fit.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by big_g
I recenty developed a "squeeking" noise along with the whistle. Thinking it's my alternator. I found a thread on that and the guy said his alternator was making a "supercharger-like whine" for a little while before it totally crapped out on him. I forget all you've checked, but just tossing it out. Let you know if replacing my alternator (assuming that's it) fixes both the squeek and the whistle.
Update, I ended up replacing my belt tensioner pulley bearing. The noise is pretty much gone! (I'd call the rest "regular" intake noise).
Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

If it is an auto tranny, the front pump could be making a whinning noise - especially if they rebuilt it. In the old days, they used to use paper tranny filters that would often clog and the front pumps would whine like a witch becasue they could not get enough ATF...

What is the condition of your ATF - color and smell please? It should be cherry red in color and should not smell burnt. Any ATF contamination in your antifreeze/radiator?

Quick Reply: Supercharger-like sound from Hell!!!