General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to say thank you to this thread. i googled p0704 and this came up. coincidently my cruise control was not working either. well i did the fix in this thread and my light is still on, but my cruise works, so im sure the light will go off after i drive it a bit. once again, LS1Tech ******* rules! thx guys!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

Yay for me. I did a search and found this. Mine threw a code a couple of weeks ago after I adjusted my Tick MC. I had my friend clear the code for me and It came back last night. I will adjust the switch tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow this was like one of the first threads i ever started on here. since a couple of you recently had this problem and got here by searching i suppose i should update what i did to fix it as i never did say in here (what a shitty OP lol). I just ordered a new clutch input switch from the stealership, it goes right behind the clutch pedal. It is the part that only allows the car to start in gear with clutch depressed. After posting this thread a few times the car just wouldnt start until i tried the clutch a few times in a row. after i put in the new clutch input switch (plug and play simple) everything was good, although damn cruise still didnt work. Anyway there it is for anyone that searches this as a reference!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Default Re: P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction

Here is a bit unusual reason for this problem:

I have an Opel Vectra B 1999 with X20DTL engine. I had problems with the gears - it was hard to shift to 1 or R. Sometimes it wouldn't shift at all. The situation deteriorated and one day I could not shift to any gear and the car was unusable. The OP-COM diagnostics said:

P0704 - Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction

I don't have cruise control. I bought a new switch - and measured its resistance with a multimeter: <1 resistance when the switch is is depressed and infinite resistance when it's not. The old switch had the same behaviour and I was not surprised that the problem persisted after I changed the switch.
At the same time I could see that the clutch pedal was visibly lower than it should be. In fact it was lower than the brake. I took the car to service and they said it was one of the hydraulic pumps of the clutch. They said it didn't provide any pressure and that w/o it the clutch did not detach at all and that's why I could not shift the gear, when the engine is running (yes I could shift the gear with the engine stopped)
So sometimes what the diagnostics show might be an indirect effect of another problem.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Default trams am 2000 clutch

Thanks for the advice on the clutch switch. Changes master and did drill mod and got the code. I checked and adjusted. Have not tried it yet but would be sure that is the problem since it was not doubt not hitting new pedal adjustment. The drill mod is also the best thing ever to that clutch. Never shifted so smooth.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

The tick performance master cylinder is ftw. Never needed drill mod with that. I put a monster clutch in my car which is ten time more aggressive than stock and it the clutch pedal is smoother with that master.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread but it seems it's time to crawl under the dash again Atleast the search function for this code gave me this thread and alot more.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Yes ancient thread, but strangely enough, my switch has not worked for 8 years, and I NEVER, EVER had an SES light, or code (pending, stored or otherwise) from this.

(And NO, it was never 'written out' either!)

I wish my 1133/1153 codes did not throw like this one didn't.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

good thread thanks guys im currently going thou the same issue
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Previous owner installed an LS7 clutch and a Tick master. Just got a tune, and this code starting flashing no more than 25 miles later. I just completed this change and will drive it around for a while to see if it goes off. Any idea how long I should wait until the SES light goes away? Easy to do, just a PITA to get your hands in there.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meeklay812
Previous owner installed an LS7 clutch and a Tick master. Just got a tune, and this code starting flashing no more than 25 miles later. I just completed this change and will drive it around for a while to see if it goes off. Any idea how long I should wait until the SES light goes away? Easy to do, just a PITA to get your hands in there.
That's what I had just installed when it happened. My light went right off once I drove it.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Drove it for about 50 miles after the adjustment before the SES light went off. Cruise works again too. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Yes ancient thread, but strangely enough, my switch has not worked for 8 years, and I NEVER, EVER had an SES light, or code (pending, stored or otherwise) from this.

(And NO, it was never 'written out' either!)

I wish my 1133/1153 codes did not throw like this one didn't.

I did my clutch and Tick MC back in 2010 and my MWC 9" about 6 months later. For a brief minute I threw a code for a wheel speed sensor and it went away. My cruise control hasn't worked in over 4 years now. Not a single code was thrown but I assumed the wheel sensor was acting funny and not letting the cruise work. Well, for the last 6 months I've been getting the 1133/1153 02 codes. I check them with my Interceptor gauge and just clear them for now. But I ALWAYS "GET DTC" before I clear them. Checked yesterday and the P0704 code was there with the other 2 codes. Found this thread and made the adjustment and now the cruise works. YES!!! Even though I use my cruise control twice a year, on the 300 mile round trip to Trans Am Nationals it's great to have. Nice thread here!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Got to love finding those cheap and easy fixes
Old 06-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Teching In

This thread is still helping! I got my cruise control back and no more SES light! Thanks yall

Quick Reply: P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction