General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant in oil / low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant in oil / low oil pressure

i was having problems with my oil pressure dropping to about 25 to 30 psi after the car warmed up, so i changed my oil and filter ( dirty but nothing out of the ordinary even used a paint sock to check for metal in the oil and there was nothing ) the car was fine for about 40 miles then the pressure started to drop again. i tore the car apart today to replace the oil pump and timing chain & gears....... come to find out there is coolant in my oil or something either way my oil looks like something you would order from starbucks...... i'm assuming its a head gasket any other ideas? there seemed to be no loss in power but the idle didn't seem as choppy as it used to be when i first installed the cam and had it tuned. Thinking about pulling the motor doing the crank bearings, head gasket, oil pump and timing gear set..... also the car has 96k miles on it and has had a 125 to 150 shot on it for about 37k miles....
thanks,
matt
Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Definitely sounds like a head gasket.... Sorry to hear it
Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Are you sure that there is coolant in there? I see that you mentioned it looked like "something from starbucks," I think you mean it was frothy, bubbly? If thats the case you should slow your roll and make sure that your pick-up tube for the oil pump is sealing correctly, it would cause a drop in oil pressure and the "froth" that you describe, from sucking air in with the oil. Have you done any work recently where you took the pick-up tube off, people sometimes pinch the o ring when they reinstall. Just something to check before you jump head first into a rebuild.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

either you got coolant in there, or your head gasket is bad, time for heads cam package now
Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

the oil pump hasnt been touched.....the oil is a black and brown color.......i let some of the oil sit in a cup overnight and the dark colored oil had seperated from the brown colored oil.....theres not any bubbles or frothy look to it. it's already got a cam in it but i'm needing a cheap fix so i think it's time to just replace the head gasket/oil pump/timing chain and gears, and call it a day......i've had a new ls6 ported oil pump and ls2 timing chain for a long time now just never put it in.........
thanks for the feed back, let me know if there is anything else i might be forgeting or overlooking...
matt