General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Really screwed up windows - HELP!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Really screwed up windows - HELP!

Help me out guys, my windows are driving me up the wall! I get a waterfall on me when I drive in the rain! I've adjusted them the best they can be adjusted with what I've got to work with. My issues are that my drivers window doesen't seem to roll up far enough to get a good seal at the top and I can't adjust it any better. My passenger window rolls up too high in the rear and it bows the rear of the window out. I've read the adjustment tutorial and on my car there are no rear adjusters at all on either side, they look like they used to be there, but they're so far out of whack I can even see where the bolts went. The window motors have been replaced at some point, could they have had the windows in the wrong position when they were installed? Would that screw them up this bad? I need help, I'm tired of getting soaked!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Im having the same problem with my drivers side window not going up all the way and its causing alot of air noise on the interstate and I went to get a carwash the other day and I got the waterfall you speak of downpoured on me to. A mechanic from chevy told me that the fiberglass part of the door is falling apart which moves the bolts down there causing the windows to f up...but if anyone can help him...im looking for a solution as well!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The rear stops are a must-have. The factory procedure for replacing the motors calls for removing the entire regulator, which requires removing the rear guide and rear stop. Maybe they weren't put back in place? You may also check the bottom inside of the door. Maybe they fell of and are sitting down there? They are a black rectangular piece that fits in the rear guide with a nut molded in to the back of them.

The stops are the first thing to set, so if you are missing one, all of the other adjustments will be out of whack.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by SimC33
Im having the same problem with my drivers side window not going up all the way and its causing alot of air noise on the interstate and I went to get a carwash the other day and I got the waterfall you speak of downpoured on me to. A mechanic from chevy told me that the fiberglass part of the door is falling apart which moves the bolts down there causing the windows to f up...but if anyone can help him...im looking for a solution as well!!!!
If you open the door and tug up on the glass, so you get any play? Can you post a picture of your fiberglass door panel and the bolt holes?

If you open the door, put the glass down and tug up on the glass as you put the window up, does it extend the full way? If so, your motor may be going bad. If not, you'll need to check to see if your window is against the front and rear stops. Even with the fiberglass holes out of round, there is still enough travel to shut the window past normal - and take it up to the stops. (unless your holes are really really bad)
Old 02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you open the door and tug up on the glass, so you get any play? Can you post a picture of your fiberglass door panel and the bolt holes?

If you open the door, put the glass down and tug up on the glass as you put the window up, does it extend the full way? If so, your motor may be going bad. If not, you'll need to check to see if your window is against the front and rear stops. Even with the fiberglass holes out of round, there is still enough travel to shut the window past normal - and take it up to the stops. (unless your holes are really really bad)
I can lift up on the window and get play but its not the motors. I just had them replaced...so how would I go about checking on the front and rear stops? What am I looking for exactly? Ill post up pictures after this shitty weather stops...and sorry Distru6969 im not trying to hijack your thread...but hopefully this both helps us out for w/e info we are getting...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by SimC33
I can lift up on the window and get play but its not the motors. I just had them replaced...so how would I go about checking on the front and rear stops? What am I looking for exactly? Ill post up pictures after this shitty weather stops...and sorry Distru6969 im not trying to hijack your thread...but hopefully this both helps us out for w/e info we are getting...
The front stop is a white plastic "hook" bolted to the inside of the front part of the door with a single bolt. The bolt hole in the door is oval. You should be able to look down the glass and see the plastic hook attached to the glass engaging the front stop.

The rear stop is a black rubber piece bolted to the inside top part of the rear guide. The rear guide is the metal channel that runs near-vertical on the back inside part of the door. You may need a mirror to see if the roller attached to the glass is up against the stop.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
The rear stops are a must-have. The factory procedure for replacing the motors calls for removing the entire regulator, which requires removing the rear guide and rear stop. Maybe they weren't put back in place? You may also check the bottom inside of the door. Maybe they fell of and are sitting down there? They are a black rectangular piece that fits in the rear guide with a nut molded in to the back of them.

The stops are the first thing to set, so if you are missing one, all of the other adjustments will be out of whack.
Thanks! I'll check it out this weekend.

Search this Thread