General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

grand am won't start...'95 v6/3.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default grand am won't start...'95 v6/3.1

I know it's not an LSX, but my DD 1995 grand am won't start. I know it's like 0 degrees or colder...but it always starts no matter how cold it is. So here is the story:

I got it started once and pulled it into the garage. The idle rmps carried it that far. I had no power whatsoever when i used the throttle. So i got it to creep into the garage, and was trying to fix the problem i knew i had with the ignition coil??. The spark didnt jump on one of them so I knew it was bad. When I unplugged the spark plug wire from the first one. I saw it arc. The second prong didn't. I pulled off the third one and that's when it died. Then I couldn't get it started again. I replaced the bad one and it still don't start. I'm lost on what it could be causing it not to start. It turns over fine but it just won't start.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the plug wires back on the correct plug? Your firing order might be wrong.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grand am. i use to have one. '95 v6 as well that i sold in illinois for my well beloved t/a.
mine was red. i had her for a year only and put 20,000 miles in her. are you sure you don't own mine? what colors yours? how many miles? i think their great dd cars. and v6 in it isn't really shitty at all.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might want to try www.gaownersclub.com. a car is a car, but there could be a common issue that a specialty forum would be more likely to identify
Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

my grand am is dk. green and came loaded with every option. I doubt it used to be ur car. it's an ok daily driver, but definetly not in the best shape anymore. clear coat is coming off the bottom panels on the doors and has quite a few dings from careless people parking next to me, it needs new shocks, but for as much as i paid for it it's a great car....ANYWAYS:...

i had to take it in, i was pressed for time and I couldn't figure out the problem, and i know i didn't screw up the wires cuz I only took off one at a time. so i guess now i just hope it don't cost too much...thx anyways guys
Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Needed a new ignition, spark plugs went bad a bit early apparently, so after the parts, labor, and tow. It was 400, luckily the insurance will pay the 100 dollars for the tow. Unfortunately, the radiator has a crack up and down it, so that'll be even more to fix.... what a terrible week, and expensive one. So if I had to guess, 200 for a new radiator and another hundred for labor...