General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power antenna problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power antenna problem

Seems to be stuck 'up'.

Motor makes noise but won't go down. I've had a problem before of it not going all the way down (would collapse down to the last stage, but not go flat) when it was cold sometimes but I could push it down before. Now it doesn't budge from being all the way up, and it won't move when I try to push it down.

Anyone got any ideas? Thinking about going with the BitViper antenna...
Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Seems to be stuck 'up'.

Motor makes noise but won't go down. I've had a problem before of it not going all the way down (would collapse down to the last stage, but not go flat) when it was cold sometimes but I could push it down before. Now it doesn't budge from being all the way up, and it won't move when I try to push it down.

Anyone got any ideas? Thinking about going with the BitViper antenna...
There is a cogged plastic piece inside your antenna that is pulled/pushed by the antenna motor. Sounds like it may have broken and jammed up. Take your spare tire out and look under the motor. You may be able to pull the plastic piece down by hand, but I doubt it. My piece broke but it didn't jam. I just had to push it up and down. And when I drove, it would eventually go all the way down.
I researched for a while before I decided to replace my antenna with an aftermarket part. That was a bad mistake. If you replace it, make sure you buy the factory part. Aftermarket antennas are a HUGE headache. You're probably looking at about $100 for a factory antenna.

Or you could just leave it like it is. At least its stuck up! There's nothing worse than being on a long drive without being able to tune in the football game!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

That's a common problem. GM recommends rubbing the antenna with mineral spirits and it works for me. I usually only get the problem when its exposed to road salt.

I do have one section that has corroded so bad, it has finally fused together - so I'll be buying a new mast. Its replaceable and you don't need to put in a new motor, etc.