Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a fuel pressure regulator to me.. just my 2 cents
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Mfran4776,

My car is now having a very similar problem: To start the engine cold, i have to wait for the fuel pump to prime, turn it over, then repeat twice. I just changed my spark plugs and the car runs great once it's started. SES light is off. The problem presented directly after a fill-up about a month ago; I thought is was just bad gas, but a seafoam fuel treatment and 4 additional tanks of gas still hasn't fixed the problem. Did you ever find a solution? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM

If the car is hard to start at any temperature, I'm going to vote for the fuel pump going bad.

The most strain on the pump is when it first gets going. Once the liquid is flowing it basically flows on its own and the fuel pump just helps it along. Think about what happens when you suck through a hose...

If the car is only hard to start when it is warm then I would check the fuel pressure regulator.

It could also be the air temp sensor or the collant temp sensor depending on how it is wired. Im no mechanic. Though, I would think if this was the case then the car wouldnt run very well.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 889 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodun
If the car is hard to start at any temperature, I'm going to vote for the fuel pump going bad.

The most strain on the pump is when it first gets going. Once the liquid is flowing it basically flows on its own and the fuel pump just helps it along. Think about what happens when you suck through a hose...

If the car is only hard to start when it is warm then I would check the fuel pressure regulator.

It could also be the air temp sensor or the collant temp sensor depending on how it is wired. Im no mechanic. Though, I would think if this was the case then the car wouldnt run very well.
Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? There's a valve in the bottom of the fuel pump that is suppose to keep fuel in the line. If the valve doesn't seal the fuel will run out of the lines back into the tank. The reason you have to crank it for a while is to build enough pressure back up to open the injectors. Put a gauge on it and turn the key on. The needle on the gauge should shoot up. If it doesn't or goes up slow that can be a sign the valve in the pump is bad or the pump is getting weak.

With it running the fuel pressure should be around 58psi I believe. Turn the key off and see if the pressure stays up or if it drops off quickly.

Another thing you can do is cycle the key several times and see if the pressure goes up each time then try and start it. You are basically priming the pump before you are trying to start it instead of just cranking the engine letting it build up that way.

Hope this can help you out some.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:30 AM

I have the same exact problem. I know these posts are from 2008 but just maybe you all resolved the problem without spending a ton of money at the mechanic's. Please help I can do the work myself but I can't afford parts "process of elimination" thank you merry Christmas to everyone!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by derekw321
I have the same exact problem. I know these posts are from 2008 but just maybe you all resolved the problem without spending a ton of money at the mechanic's. Please help I can do the work myself but I can't afford parts "process of elimination" thank you merry Christmas to everyone!
I am having the same problem. Did you ever find the issue with yours?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:06 PM

Default The correct answer

The correct answer if you're smelling fuel is most likely the pressure regulator on the Central Port Fuel Injection Spider leaking. It has a diaphragm inside just like an EGR or MAP sensor. They can go bad and will usually cause the middle cylinder on the passenger side to misfire trying to burn the excess fuel. The spark plug will be carboned up more than the rest. This is one way to know before taking it all apart. Between $10 and $20 on eBay. It may or may not have the nipple on the side. You will only know once you open up the intake. If you look at the one without the nipple, you will see a hole on top. This hole allows vacuum from the intake, and is where the leak will be (from the bad diaphragm).
Attached Thumbnails Car is hard to start, then sputters, then runs fine... any ideas-fuel-pressure-regulator.jpg   Car is hard to start, then sputters, then runs fine... any ideas-fuel-pressure-regulator2.jpg  

Last edited by John Herr; 07-30-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 PM

Default If car is hard to start, then sputters, and then runs fine it could be these things.

First, I would look at the fuel pressure regulator as the culprit, especially if you smell gas. That should fix it, if the issue still persists, then perhaps it's the fuel filter is dirty or clogged, and lastly I would change the fuel pump..... If car does not want to start, u can tap on ur fuel pump and try to restart, if it fires up, then the fuel pump is definitely going out.

Quick Reply: Car is hard to start, then sputters, then runs fine... any ideas