General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Doesn't Blow Cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AC Doesn't Blow Cold

When the AC stops blowing cold air, does that mean it's low on frion? Is this what they mean when they say the AC needs to be "charged"?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
When the AC stops blowing cold air, does that mean it's low on frion? Is this what they mean when they say the AC needs to be "charged"?
Yes. Hopefully thats the only reason its not blowing cold air.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off, your car will not take "freon" it takes R134a, an it could be possible that it needs a recharge but I would check your condenser first to see if it has a lot of crap stuck in it, if its full of bugs, twigs or anything of the sort that will affect the heat exchange an cause your A/C to feel warm.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

Cool!

I'll check the condenser before adding the R134a.

Thanks, guys.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Vex
Teching In

Check and see if the belt is still down on the drive. It may have snapped and fallen off. Happened to me last summer.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

You mean the AC tensioner belt?

That's one thing I forgot to ask: If the belt is where it's supposed to be, is there any condition the belt could have that would stop the flow of cold air?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does the compressor kick on at all?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

I'm afraid I don't know how to detect the compressor, but I can hear the usual 'on noise' when I go into AC. It's just that the air isn't as cold as it used to be. It has been quite a long time since I last used the AC though. Could constant use of the heater or constant alternation between the two cause a disruption?

I've been told that my AC tensioner belt is getting old, where it's capable of making a low chirping sound, but it's mostly silent.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
I'm afraid I don't know how to detect the compressor, but I can hear the usual 'on noise' when I go into AC. It's just that the air isn't as cold as it used to be. It has been quite a long time since I last used the AC though. Could constant use of the heater or constant alternation between the two cause a disruption?

I've been told that my AC tensioner belt is getting old, where it's capable of making a low chirping sound, but it's mostly silent.
Go to Kragen or autozone and get a pressure gauge (they make them specifically for the A/C system). They are really cheap. Hook it up to the low pressure side of the A/C system (I can get you a picture of where it is if you need it). Then come back here and tell us what the reading is with the A/C off and the A/C on. You don't want to really start adding R134 if there is a leak introducing air into the system.

First, air in the system will cause premature breakdown of the A/C pump. Also, the A/C will not work as efficiently. It would be best to find the source of the leak and take care of that, so you don't have to constantly add R134 all the time (which is starting to get expensive).
Old 03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

just like they said if its leaking get it fixed because if it leaks down too many times and your trying to run it the compressor could burn out