General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

Our 98 camaro ss won't start.
The battery has been dead all winter and the keys were left in the ignition(in the on position i believe) on accident for less than 24 hours.. don't ask
The battery won't hold a charge
When we try to start it makes a constant clicking when the key is turned..
What could it be???
Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

bump. i need help
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

If the battery won't hold a charge it may be time for a new battery.

The VATS could be malfunctioning. Mine wouldn't start once. I did a search and found several people who said that's what it was. Try putting the car in gear and starting it. That's what finally worked for me. Could have only been a coincidence, tho. My bother suggested tapping on the starter with a hammer. If it all of the sudden fires up it that could be the problem. I'm a newbie, tho, don't trust me too much.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cool whip
If the battery won't hold a charge it may be time for a new battery.

The VATS could be malfunctioning. Mine wouldn't start once. I did a search and found several people who said that's what it was. Try putting the car in gear and starting it. That's what finally worked for me. Could have only been a coincidence, tho. My bother suggested tapping on the starter with a hammer. If it all of the sudden fires up it that could be the problem. I'm a newbie, tho, don't trust me too much.
Yeah, I'm thinking it is the battery, the light dims every time we try to start it.
Could it have anything to do with the ignition because it was left in the AC or on position even though nothing happened because the battery was dead?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went through a dead battery. The clicking you are hearing is the starter trying to engage but can't because the battery is shot. New battery will fix your problem, 99% guaranteed.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

If the battery won't hold a charge you're going to need to replace it anyway. I'd start with that. Here's a link talking about the VATS problem: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874571&highlight=car+won't+start
Post #4. I'd check that next, 'cause it doesn't cost anything. If you're still having problems, tap the starter with a hammer. If it fires right up after tapping, replace it.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take the battery to Auto Zone or a parts store and get a"load test" done, they don't charge you hoping that if you need a battery you'll buy from them.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok cool. I'm going to get a battery tomorrow. If it doesn't work i'll check the VATS problem.
Thanks guys
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a VATS problem, the Security light will light up and stay on for a minute, preventing you from starting the car. If you want to test whether it's the security system causing the problem, you can simply test the resistance on your key's "chip" (or resistor) and then wire in a resistor of the same resistance as the chip in the key. There are two wires under the steering column that run from the ignition cylinder as part of the VATS system. You simply tap into those and tie in the appropriate resistors. It bypasses the need for you to use a key with the appropriate chip in it.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Have you tried rocking the car or rollling in forward a few inches? Sometimes what happens is the starter gears line up in such as way that they don't engage the flywheel properly...it will make a tick noise then stop. So the idea behind tapping the starter is to solve this problem (solenoid). But trying moving the car then popping the clutch to move the flywheel a bit. good luck