General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Distilled water in aluminum radiator, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Distilled is the only water to run. If you live in a town that has good water you MAY get by without any troubles. However at our shop we use nothing but distilled and antifreeze. The water in our town sucks and I have seen it eat up radiators, intakes and freeze plugs when used straight in less than six months.
That's a load of crap. It has been run in 100s of millions of cars over the past 100 years. It is in almost every car on the road today. Does it eat up your engine block in 6 months too? The pipes in your house? You're stomach lining? Does it kill your grass? It isn't going to corrode your radiator etc that fast unless it will do all of those other things as well, you're talking some major BS here. I've never sued anything else and I have never had a radiator fail on my at all, let alone a freeze plug or intake. You're a jackass. You're problems lie somewhere other than tap water
Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I called and talked to the royal purple guys today about this very thing and was told that distilled water is only bad for a BRAND NEW ALUMINUM radiator. Once a radiator has been run for a few hours with coolant (which contains additives to protect aluminum) then it is fine to run distilled water but tap water would be fine too. They also recommended at least a 20% mix of coolant to help with boil over protection.

...I was reading this thread last week when i was looking into it so i thought i'd share even though its pretty old.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

used tap water in all my cars, never had a hole appear in my radiators...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone has to stop talking to these genius's at Royal Purple and other manufacturers, their just wrong.

There's nothing wrong with hose water unless its coming from a well thats simple dirty and nasty.

If hose water hurts aluminum radiators in any way, which it does NOT, then thousands of cars would be having trouble every day in this country. Radiators would be on back order for months.

Buying distilled water is a waste of money. My radiator looks brand new inside, hose water is all it gets. My car is 11+ years old. I mix in a half jug of Dexcool, the rest is hose water. Runs cool as a cucumber all the time.

That Kit Car Cobra has an engine issue he needs to fix. Probably a blown head gasket if he's boiling over.

Quick Reply: Distilled water in aluminum radiator, yes or no?