General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is there a quick and lazy method to changing the brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a quick and lazy method to changing the brake fluid?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but on this site a lot of posters say that using a turkey baster isn't a bad idea to changing out some fluids. Like I read about it for power steering fluid and the clutch reservoir.

Now I was thinking about getting help with my buddy to change my brake fluid, but I am just wondering would there be any positives temporarily speaking if I sucked the reservoir dry, filled it with new fluid, drove it around and then drained and filled again?

Sorry for the newb question.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did that with the power steering resevoir and its starting to clear up pretty good. A couple more cycles and I think it'll clear up.

I'm interested in doing this for the brakes also.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What you do is get a bottle or 2 of brake fluid and bleed the brakes out of the bad fluid just keep pumping it out till you have put a cupple bottles in it should only take one to get most of it out but 2 if you want to be shure.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One for all the rest of them dont take the caliper off its not nessary to paint them anyway.

If it were me I'd go threw and bleed out the whole system since you emptyed out the rez.

how to bleed your brakes you need a bud to help you.
put fluid in your REZ and keep it full during the whole process.
I'd remove all your tires and put them on stands its just easier.
start form the furthest caliper from your REZ passanger side rear.
here is the process have some one pump up the brakes till it has pressure maby 15 to 20 pumps or so have when they have pressure they tell you " I HAVE PRESSURE" then they hold pressure on the brake you tell them " HOLD PRESSURE" then you open the bleeder valve brake fluid should shoot out, Once the brake pedle hits the floor have your bud yell " BRAKE PEDLE DOWN" once he says that you close the bleeder valve. DO this process till you see no air bubbles comming out of the bleeder valve. normaly takes 3 times.
then go to the drivers rear then to the pass front then finaly the drivers side front.
its easy to do I've done it over 100 times.
Air in the brake system is bad news.
the bleeder valve is on top of the caliper looks like a nipple I think its like a 10 mm ir somthing just take of the cap and turn to the left to loosen then to the right to close
Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

other than a bleeder ball this is the best way to do it sucking it out of the res is not going to do a thing.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also buy a book on your car at the auto store if you are working on your car based on your question you dont know alot and a book would bea a good guide for you.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Oh I know little to nothing. My friend knows what he's doing I just only get to see him once every 2 weeks or so. I am just trying to see what I can get done by myself. Thanks for the tips.