General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wrong Distributor? maybe? oil pressure flux.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy wrong Distributor? maybe? oil pressure flux.

yesterday i gave my car a tune up.. the second one ive done to this car. the first tim i ordered a cap from summit, its turned out that mine is the screw in kind not the eldows that go under the tab. so i took it to advanced and got it matched. i did the same this time but i went to napa instead. they told me that the cap i had belongs to a caddie or a vette!? i told my father about this and we've always thought the motor had more ***** then it should have.. he also noticed that the harmonic balancer was blue instead of black? im going to pull the code off the block here soon but i was wonderin if it could be as simple as someone put in a different distributor and balancer? the motor i thought was an LB9 5.0.

also my oil pressure is fluxuating from about 32-35 psi to like 25-28psi like a 1/8 to 3/16 inch above and below 30.. should i be worried?
Old 04-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

Doesn't sound like an LS1 thats for sure but none the less it sounds like you have a screw down type cap, listed for 85 camaro/firebird in some catalogs.

I wouldn't worry about the oil pressure.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Teching In

no not a LS1 motor but the 80's vettes also had TPI motors..any ideas about the harmonic balancer?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by southern_iroc85
no not a LS1 motor but the 80's vettes also had TPI motors..any ideas about the harmonic balancer?
I knew it wasn't an LS1, just a strange place to ask third gen questions.

Your car is 23 years old, chances are it's not the original engine.
Look at the casting number on the rear drivers side of the block and look at the stamped suffix code on the front passenger side of the block, pull a valve cover and look at the casting number of the heads. If you want look at the casting date on the heads and at the back of the block.

Put all the numbers together and you might figure out what it came out of.
Example: Suffix code is vehicle specific but often repeated. Casting numbers can give you a rough idea as far as on small blocks. Date codes, if they're all within a month of each other you can almost bet they all rolled of the assembly line on the same car or crate.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Teching In

sweet thanks for your help