General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WTF???!!! plz help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF???!!! plz help

okay, so my car runs good..... until i floor it.

it pulls as usual untill 5K RPM then it just stays there for a very long time. it does it in first gear but is really bad in second. i couldn't even beat this little focus svt at 55mph i sat right beside him. it was sooo damn embarrassing.

i've had multiple shops look at it and all give me a different b.s. answer. one shop even told me the transmission cable and pointed to my cruise control...i was like step away from the car...

it's not throwing a code and the last tune up wasn't a real long time ago i checked plug gaps before i installed them

i though maybe cats but wouldn't it run bad all the time or throw a code?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a manual or auto?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it could very well be your cats, if clogged, they are not compleatly shut off so your car can still run, an easy way to check is to check your vacuum, if its sitting at less than (meaning closer to 0) 20in of vacuum, you could have clogged cats. If its at 20, then throttle on it a couple of times at idle and see how fast it comes back to 20, should take no time at all if the cats arn't clogged.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Teching In

I also think it is your cats
Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

good info thanks! why the hell can't a shop figure or check something this simple? i think i have some cats lined up i was getting the just in case but the places around here are pathetic i'm not at all a mechanic but i have common sense and know more than most ppl that are certified for there job here. it's sickening.

thanks again
Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by keliente
Is this a manual or auto?
an auto
Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

never trust a mechanic, i know from expieriance, i was one.....

You wouldn't believe the amount of **** that goes on in a shop, bumpers getting ripped off of cars by lift arms (accident), playing bumper cars with cutomers vehicles(accident), over chargeing, over promise, underdeliver, paying %250 of a parts price. And the biggest thing is selling a customer something that they don't need, a mechanic gets kickbacks ($$$) for doing such....

Dirty dirty buissness....
Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

The best way to check is with a exhaust back pressure gauge. I got one off eGay for about 20 Bucks. It is just one of those tools to have, like a vacuum gauge or a fuel pressure gauge. It should be in the very low numbers on the gauge, it will bounce a bit since this is a v8 motor. I check mine every once in a while, with tune-ups.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could also be that the transmission is slipping.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Launching!

yeah why is no one telling him its his trans? its prop your clutch packs are shot. Mine is doing the same thing. trans just holds 5-5500 for a few seconds longer than it should or untill you move your right foot then it shifts to the next gear. Good luck. Cats? really guys?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oberth1
yeah why is no one telling him its his trans? its prop your clutch packs are shot. Mine is doing the same thing. trans just holds 5-5500 for a few seconds longer than it should or untill you move your right foot then it shifts to the next gear. Good luck. Cats? really guys?
ok, i will write that down, exept, o wait, if the clutch packs were fucked it would do the oppisite of what the op said, there would be no resistance, the motor would act like it was in neutral, meaning free rev when accually in gear. What do you know about auto transmissions? He asked for help, based on my knowledge, i replied. Thanks for your time....