General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

i fucking hate deathcool

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Default i ******* hate deathcool

This **** won't stop coming out. I drain my radiator every day and refill with water. Next day more deathcool just keeps coming out. I even popped my thermostat off and let it drain and stuck a hose in there and rinsed it out as much as i could, still deathcool is coming out. I want to put a grenade in my radiator.
Attached Thumbnails i fucking hate deathcool-pic-0021.jpg  
Old 04-14-2008 | 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

when i was a deputy we had that in our impalas i actually liked it...a 5000 pound impala running 12 outlets in florida heat....NEVER over heated and i ran it like a dog...
Old 04-14-2008 | 05:03 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

You need to actually get a flush chemical treatment, that Dexcool seems to grow gunk. After that, change it every year or two - tops. Then you will not have any issues with it. Our systems on these cars just don't seal well so you lose much of the benefit of the "long life" coolant.
Old 04-14-2008 | 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Still have the factory dexcool fill in my car, only 26K but many years.
Old 04-14-2008 | 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

pull the plug out of the block next to the starter
Old 04-14-2008 | 09:08 PM
Banned

do a good flush with the heater core on dude that should do it! if any dexcool, it should all collect in the resoirvoir
Old 04-14-2008 | 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ae13291
do a good flush with the heater core on dude that should do it! if any dexcool, it should all collect in the resoirvoir
I did that too. I had the car running with the radiator plug draining and a hose in the radiator constantly filling it to the top with the heater running. All the way up to operating temp for about 10 min. ****'s still coming out.
Old 04-14-2008 | 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Is it suggested to get the Dexcool our of our cars? In Buicks we ran minimum glycol, water and RMI-25.
Old 04-15-2008 | 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Still have the factory dexcool fill in my car, only 26K but many years.
But...after 7 years - I'd be interested to know how much gunk built up inside!
Old 04-15-2008 | 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

The cooling system flush is crap. Where do you think it goes after it breaks loose. It heads straight for the heater core and radiator where it accumulates at low water flow areas. Then next winter you will be posting about no heat. Pull the block plugs and flush it as best as possible with clean water. Pull the radiator and take it to a shop and get them to rod it out. What we have had to do several times after doing this is start the vehicle with the thermostat out and a water hose in the hose and use the water pump to flush the block. There are areas that water hose pressure simply cannot force the clean water into. Then when you are finished fill it back up with distilled water and green antifreeze. No fan of dexcool here. In my own stuff I run green. In customers stuff we give them the option of what direction to go. The only difference is that you need to change the green coolant once every two years.
Old 04-15-2008 | 11:51 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
But...after 7 years - I'd be interested to know how much gunk built up inside!
Roger that!
Old 04-15-2008 | 12:14 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
The cooling system flush is crap. Where do you think it goes after it breaks loose. It heads straight for the heater core and radiator where it accumulates at low water flow areas. Then next winter you will be posting about no heat. Pull the block plugs and flush it as best as possible with clean water. Pull the radiator and take it to a shop and get them to rod it out. What we have had to do several times after doing this is start the vehicle with the thermostat out and a water hose in the hose and use the water pump to flush the block. There are areas that water hose pressure simply cannot force the clean water into. Then when you are finished fill it back up with distilled water and green antifreeze. No fan of dexcool here. In my own stuff I run green. In customers stuff we give them the option of what direction to go. The only difference is that you need to change the green coolant once every two years.
I disagree only with your first sentence precisely because of everything else you wrote. The product is only as good as the person using i.e. the service is only as good as the guy doing it. There are lots of good products out there. Combine a good product with your methods and you will get it all out. Additionally, if you do it every two years - regardless of if you use red or green - these issues will not happen.

If you wait 7 years, you are going to have gunk, probably lots, and it's damn near a repair versus a maintenance service - you don't know until you get into it. But a flush, however involved the actual procedure, is easier than a radiator and/or heater core/and or water pump R&R.

I think what people need to realize, precisely because of what you describe - If you do this maintenance regularly, you greatly extend the life of the entire system.
Old 04-15-2008 | 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

what are these plugs? what do they look like? I'm gonna try this out today.
Old 04-15-2008 | 12:29 PM
On The Tree

What is stange to me is some cars look PERFECT inside, and others look like hell. Miles don't seem to matter. Have had same problem as you on some. Keep flushing.
Old 04-16-2008 | 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

I'm at 114k with stock dexcool.. never overheated, never BUDGED over 210.. don't fix it if it isnt broke i guess?
Old 04-16-2008 | 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

This may sound a little crazy. A engine guy used to use dishwashing soap. Not the liquid but the sand looking stuff. He would add about a cup to a raditor that was full of clean water. The soap would clean the Dex Cool right out as it would do dirty dishes. I have seen it done first hand on a 98 Tahoe with Deathcool I t worked just fine the coolant jug was stained a little bit from the old nasty coolant. It is a MUST to drain the heads and block after doing this. When I get a chance at work I will ask the Engine man on exactly what soap he uses. Word of advise after you get all of the coolant out of there use Eltholyne Glycol it is a green in color and you can pick it up just about any where. I will PM you if you would like to know more about using the soap.