General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear End Whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Whine

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Board. I just picked up a 02 z28 m6 about a week ago. So far its ran great. However there is a sound comming from the rear when im at minimum throttle. It only happens noticably in 5 and 6th gear. I can hear it faintly in fourth. It doesnt happen when im harder into the throttle and it doesnt happen when im completely off it. Also it only seems to happen after the car gets hot. Only when im crusing. Its really annoying. The car has about 47k on the clock and as far as i know the gears are stock. Any idea what this is or how to fix it? I was thinking about changing the rear fluid. If that doesnt stop it should i put in a heavier wieght fluid?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the fluid and putting a bottle of additive should help quiet it down. They sell the additive at most parts stores. I got mine at Kragen.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Try two bottles of the GM additive, has worked for me several times. If that doesn't work, it may be hurt a little have been fixed but not setup properly. Some are just noisy, but usually you can get the factory rear to do a pretty good church mouse impression.

More importantly, describe the sound. You may also want to post this question in the read end section.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Try two bottles of the GM additive, has worked for me several times. If that doesn't work, it may be hurt a little have been fixed but not setup properly. Some are just noisy, but usually you can get the factory rear to do a pretty good church mouse impression.

More importantly, describe the sound. You may also want to post this question in the read end section.
Yeah I posted over in the rear section. I was gonna first try to change it with the recommended wieght oil and addititve and see if that helps. If not then i will double the weight gear oil and add the additive.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

are you sure its not that normal f body tranny whine you hear in 5th and 6th on the highways?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ae13291
are you sure its not that normal f body tranny whine you hear in 5th and 6th on the highways?
Could you eleborate? This is my first stick, let alone a F-Body. The sound is definatly comming from the rear of the car not the tranny tunnel. It only happens when i'm a little into the trottle like crusing. If I let off or go more than like 10% it goes away completely.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

my m6 ws6 does the same thing....it sounds like u have huge tires or somehting the way it hums, but im not to worried about, im just gnna change the fluid, but just like urs it only does it whn ur foot is on the gas, whn its off, it goes away
Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

o and i forgot to mention the stock gears tend to have a whine to thm like ours do, but i plan on replaceing them down the road hopefully tht will get rid of the whine who knws
Old 04-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Banned

ok then dont worry its normal man! thats the normal f body whine! it only happens in 5th and 6th gears at slight throttle! they sell a gasket to put around the shifter to eliminate that