General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

vats

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Default vats

Ok I was at my buddys house the other night and went to start my car and nothing happened except for the security light kept flashing, I did some research on here and thought it was the vats, I took my key to the dealer and they said it was fine, so I bought some resistors, they werent the small little ones they were a log style looking and i had to use 2 of them a 1ohm and .47 ohm to get my 1.470 ohm for the chip, I found the orange coated wire with the 2 wires inside and cut the connector off the end and wired the resistor in line and looped the 2 together. Did I do this correctly what do you do with the other end of the plug that was plugged in to the 2 small white wires??? thought everything was good to go , turned the key and still nothing, the only way to start my car is by jumping the starter relay under the hood. Please help me...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

anybody??? Im confused and have tried the search and still am confused
Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinking you need 1470 ohms? See http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key Just tape or zip tie the end that went to the ignition switch off somewhere.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a similar problem, mine would only start sometimes. Found out it was the whole ignition cylinder module, the whole section the key goes into. hope that helps a lil
Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a problem with the BCM itself too....I had to replace one in my car a while back.
Same thing, it would start maybe 1 out of 4-5 attempts..
Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bizzles
Had a similar problem, mine would only start sometimes. Found out it was the whole ignition cylinder module, the whole section the key goes into. hope that helps a lil
yeah I replaces that too when my car had those symtoms.It still did it(intermitant start problem) it turned out being an ignition relay
Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

if the whole ignition cylinder was bad then I dont think the car would start when i jump the relay, it will turn over when the key is off but not fire, then turn the key forward and it starts, I tried a new starter realy and it wasnt that.. what else good it be and how do i test it???
Old 03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to have my ingition cylinder replaced because the wires for the vats were broken, apparently its common.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Im stuck and cants figure out what to do if the ignition cylinder was bad the car should start with the key in the run position and not start in the off position should it ???
Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

1. Clean the contacts on your key and try again.
If that doesn't work
2. Measure the resistance value of your key. Get under the dash and unplug the vats plug (two small wires wrapped in orange or yellow cover). Turn the key on and measure on the half of the plug that goes up into the column. If the value that you measured directly on the key doesn't show up at that plug with the key on, your contacts at the cylinder are broken.
If the resistance does show up correctly, you have a bigger problem like:
3. The BCM

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

how do you test the bcm???
Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a local locksmith (who ended up replacing my ignition cylinder) come to my house. He had a box that would bypass the vats system and allow the car to start. If the car was able to start via by-passing the vats systems; then the problem is the vats system, most likely broken wire/s
Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

To make sure you are measuring the resistance right, measure the resistance across the key pellet, then measure the resistance of your resistors. If you did it right, they should be about the same.

As scoggin said, it's very easy to measure the circuit in the steering column to see if your key pellet is reading through the circuitry correctly, I just did it last night. Measure your key resistance, then put the key in the ignition, unplug the orange sheathed white wires connector and measure the resistance across the two white wires in the connector on the column side of the connector and the value should be the same as the key alone. I just did this last night, turns out the vats circuit is fine. I jacked up my car to look at the starter, wiggled those wires and hit the starter with a rubber mallet a few times, then the car started right up, so I am replacing my starter today.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update...After some thought, I figured since my starter usually works great, the starter itself is probably good but needs it's contacts cleaned. So I took the starter out, and sure enough there was plenty of corrosion on all the electrical connections. So I filed/sanded/scraped all the connection points and put it back together. Seems to be working perfect. So I'll be bringing back the new starter as I have a feeling my old one still has a lot of life left in it. $-)
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01boydws6
Im stuck and cants figure out what to do if the ignition cylinder was bad the car should start with the key in the run position and not start in the off position should it ???
If the wiring is shot the VATS will allow the car to be turned on but not allow it to start. Plus it mosy likely will 'lock' the car for 5-10min so that even if it's fixed you won't be able to start the car until the security light goes off. Lil FYI, you can use any 4thgen camaro key to turn any 4thgen camaro on (neat lil trick, funny as hell when your friend has one too and hes wondering how your listening to his radio when he's got his keys in his hand lol)