General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help removing cigarette lighter???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help removing cigarette lighter???

Hello Guys,

I just got the Beer Panel Nitrous switches for my 2002 SS. In order to properly install the plate, it looks like I need to remove the cigarette lighter (and the housing) from the center console piece. I've pulled the center console off of the car, however I can't get the two plastic tabs on the back of the lighter to release so I can pull it out. Anyone ever had to remove or replace the cigarette lighter unit? Any tips or tricks that would help me get it out without tearing up the center console paneling??
Old 04-18-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump....has anyone figured this out?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my 94 formula the lighter is held in by a nut on the back side of the lighter. it should just screw off.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the lighter in my 02 Z28 (for manual fan switch) and also couldn't figure out a good way to remove it. I ended up taking a pair of needle nose pliers and with some twisting, pushing, and pulling finally got it out. Didn't damage anything else in the process but the lighter was beat to hell.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
I removed the lighter in my 02 Z28 (for manual fan switch) and also couldn't figure out a good way to remove it. I ended up taking a pair of needle nose pliers and with some twisting, pushing, and pulling finally got it out. Didn't damage anything else in the process but the lighter was beat to hell.
I was afraid this is what it might take. Anyone else have any experience with getting the lighter out?

Quick Reply: Help removing cigarette lighter???